Chapter 16

As scripted, Percy, Annabeth, and Grover left for their quest three days later. Once again, I watched from the shadows, glaring at Kyle when he gave Grover those cursed magic sneakers. Again, I debated sending Kyle to the moon, but consoled myself with the fact that if things kept on track, he would be revered as a hero in the end. That was my hope, anyways.

When Annabeth chased after the out of control Grover, Percy said something quietly, before Chiron reached into his pocket, giving Percy Anaklusmos. Before Percy had joined his friends in the white van with Argus, Chiron had said, "Come out of the shadows, Andy." When I didn't move he sighed, "I know you're there, child."

My face had been a bright red as I stepped out from behind the tree, rubbing the back of my neck in embarrassment. "Really, Chiron?" I hissed, fiddling with my bracelet as I approached them.

"You were going to let me go without saying goodbye?" Percy had asked, the slightest bit of betrayal in his voice.

"Didn't I say goodbye to you last night?" I reminded him, still pulling him into a fierce hug anyways. Percy chuckled softly, burying his face into my shirt, like he was making a silent promise to himself that he'd come back alive if only to see me again. "Stay safe out there. And remember, I'm always there when you need me." I tapped the cloud charm around his neck one more time, hopping that maybe he'd finally understand.

He didn't.

Chiron and I waved at the departing van until it was out of sight, the both of us sighing at the thought of this quest. "If they are successful," Chiron said, placing a hand on my shoulder, gently leading me back into camp, "will you stay for the rest of the summer?"

"That's not up to me," I said miserably, fiddling with the hem of my shirt. "Aphrodite said I would, but the council as a whole haven't confirmed anything. Speaking of which, what is the latest development on this whole Master Bolt thing?"

Chiron suddenly aged decades in a few seconds. "Neither brother will back down. If the Master Bolt isn't returned by the summer solstice, there will be war."

"The high and mighty sons of you know who," I grumbled, causing for thunder to rumble across the clear sky. "Yeah, yeah, calm down, Zeus."

I looked over to see Chiron looking at me with a mixture of worry and concern, like he was afraid that Zeus was going to kill me right where I was standing for that comment. But I eased that fear after telling Chiron about my weird relationship with the Lord of the Skies.

Anyhow, my life was pretty normal for the next week, well, as normal as possible in a camp full of demigods. But exactly nine days after Percy had left for his quest, one day away from the summer solstice deadline, I received a message that nearly knocked me unconscious.

I'd been in the middle of trying to break up a fight between two sons of Hephaestus and Athena, who were arguing over the Zeus and Poseidon rivalry, when a voice burst into my head with so much force I collapsed onto my knees, the track mercilessly digging into my exposed flesh.

HELP US! Percy's voice begged. ANDY, I NEED YOU!

I clutched at my head, whimpering from how loudly Percy had yelled. Maybe I shouldn't have spent so much time trying to get him to understand the charm to tell him that he didn't need to scream to get my attention. It didn't help matters that I could sense how tightly he was gripping the stupid charm, that annoying shocking feeling running through my body like I was sitting in an electric chair.

"Please, don't yell," I said out loud, which sent the message both to Percy and the fighting campers, the latter of which were huddled over me in concern.