Chapter 84

Our arrival in Rome occurred without much fanfare, thank the gods. The last thing we needed was mortals screaming about the end of the world and causing a mass panic before the twins' fireworks performance.

Percy had yet to lose his sucker punched expression after the whole Chrysaor situation despite his quick thinking having saved the day. I also got to act as a poltergeist, suddenly appearing from Chrysaor's shadow when he said there was no god aboard the Argo II. I guess he's technically right. I'm a goddess, after all.

Upon landing, plans and groups were made with the intention of meeting up by three to find Nico and the giants. Thanks to sharing pieces of Hades' domain, I could sense Nico's presence within the city. But between so many people and the plethora of mythological beings who'd never left Rome after its fall, I couldn't pinpoint his location.

Thank God I'm from a different universe and know he's under the Colosseum.

It sucked I couldn't say anything about it, though.

I'd intended to remain with Jason, Piper, and Coach Hedge on the Argo II until it was go time. Hazel, Leo, and Frank had reached that standard quest maximum of three companions, so it's not like I'd planned on joining them. Plus, a goddess alongside three powerful demigods didn't exactly scream subtle. As for Annabeth and Percy, I had no intention of being their third wheel in what was probably the tensest date they'd ever go on.

Turns out I didn't have much say in the matter as they each grabbed one of my wrists and begged me to come along.

I didn't put up a fight.

"You've been to Rome before, right?" Percy asked as we walked toward the Colosseum.

"A couple of times, yeah," I said. "I've only ever come during missions, though, so I don't know much of the city. I know a lot of places where Lares like to congregate and where to find high quality ingredients for some potions, though."

"That's so highly specific."

I sighed. "I'm aware of that. The good news is that I can sense the Tiber from here." I jabbed my thumb to the west. "It's about a four-mile walk that way."

"Oh, goody," Annabeth said, face ashen as she gripped the straps of her backpack.

"If I remember correctly, there's a bunch of nice restaurants by the river bank. Lunch is on me."

I made sure to keep a few feet behind the couple, giving them their privacy despite traveling in a group.

Annabeth commented on the architecture of the buildings and monuments we passed by. Percy commented about the glaring Lares from various apartment complexes and a woman in a white robe holding a knife.

There are truly two types of people in this world.

Knowing our time would be limited once we reached the restaurant, I stopped our group in a public park and gestured for Percy and Annabeth to take a seat on an empty bench. There were people flying kites, having picnics, tossing around a frisbee, and gods knows what else in the grass. Fountains sporadically dotted the perimeter, filling the air with the gentle sound of babbling water. Today was an absolutely gorgeous day (and Jason's birthday), but the heavy mood ruined all of it.

Percy had an arm over Annabeth's shoulders, pulling her close. She had her head tucked into the crook of his neck, eyes screwed shut, breathing deeply.

"Kiddo," I said, watching as Annabeth opened her eyes. "I know that this entire situation sucks, but I hope you know I'm so proud of you."

"I haven't even found the statue. There's nothing to be proud of," Annabeth mumbled.