Chapter 83

I dreamt of Python that night.

That stupid, gaping cavern reeked of sulfur and must – an absolute assault to the senses. Despite the darkness, the heat and humidity clung to the air like a wet blanket, drenching me in sweat. Had that been the end of it all, I probably would've been fine. The mountains of bones around the floor concerned me, sure, but I'd seen worse in the Underworld.

No, what sent pure terror flooding through my veins, the thing that made my heart want to burst out of my chest was when Python stirred. His sheer size made me long for the drakon from the Battle of Manhattan. His scales scraped against the rocky ground, sending chills down my spine. I'd rather be forced to listen to nails on a chalkboard for eternity than hear this for a moment longer.

Python's head alone was roughly the size of a pickup truck. At the moment, he truly resembled a snake, forgoing any wings, limbs, or additional heads. Knowing he could grow and discard those as he pleased did nothing to reassure me. His lamp-like yellow eyes glowed in the darkness, growing brighter as he approached.

"So, you are the one fighting for control of Delphi," he spoke, low and gravely. His voice reverberated around the chamber. Dirt fell from the ceiling and into my hair. He sharply exhaled, the warm air from his nostril slits hitting me square in the face. I gagged and reflexively took a step back but couldn't do much more than that.

The Fates making me the goddess of snakes was a joke. It had taken me years to get over my ophidiophobia. Even now, I hated snakes and did as much as I could to avoid them.

Being forced to contend with Python was cruel and unusual punishment.

Somehow I doubted that pleading the Eighth would do much to help in this instance.

"It would be so much easier if you gave up, girl. Relinquish the Oracle to me."

"No," I managed, shaking from head to toe. "I won't give you Delphi."

Python's lips – did snakes have lips? – curled upward in what I assumed to be a sneer. His forked tongue peaked through, hissing aggressively at my dismissal of his offer. "About time he sends me a worthy opponent. That golden boy has outlived his usefulness. He will fall to me, as will you. The power of the Oracles is mine."

"You will leave Apollo out of this." I drew my sword. "You will not hurt him, and you won't be taking control of Delphi. Not under my watch."

"Oh, you sweet, naïve child. Delphi is already mine. You're too late."

"No!"

I stabbed my sword into the ground and channeled what little control I had over the Earth into the growing crack. Dirt crawled up my shoes and ankles, quickly moving to bring me to my knees (gee thanks, Gaea), but I didn't relent. The dirt continued to rise, quickly spreading across my chest and toward the base of my throat. Python lunged. I closed my eyes and screamed.

The ground sliced open like butter under a hot knife.

"The sun will fall, and he will take you down with him!" Python screeched as the floor finally gave way.

Three loud knocks in rapid succession woke me.

I sat up so abruptly that when I tried to get to my feet, I managed to get tangled in my sheets and face-planted onto the floor. Thank God for my rug. I didn't particularly feel like tasting the hardwood at the moment.

Muttering curses under my breath, I gathered my sheets and chucked them back onto my bed while simultaneously getting to my feet. I could hear my heartbeat pounding in my ears. My hands continued shaking as I grasped the handle and opened the door.