Chapter 32

That night, around three in the morning, the Aethiopian drakon that Austin had seen slithered its way up Half-Blood Hill. Of course, the thing couldn't get past the borders, but merely knowing that it was literally right in front of us was enough to rattle the three of us.

Drakons are much larger and older than their dragon counterparts. For example, Peleus, who easily weighed two tons and was as big as a stretch limo, looked like an earthworm compared to the Aethiopian drakon.

While it couldn't breathe fire, it spewed poison, very similar to one of the hydra heads. And while it couldn't paralyze somebody like Medusa's head, its fierce green eyes gave the impression of a different type of paralysis, the type that made you think oh-gods-that-thing-is-going-to-eat-me-right-now.

Whenever the drakon got too close for comfort, one of us would shoot, but our arrows would bounce off its skin harmlessly. Honestly, our arrows were as effective as if we had grabbed some rubber bands and launched toothpicks at the drakon.

"We've shot twenty arrows, and all we've done is make it mad," Lee said incredulously, nocking another arrow onto his bow.

"I think it's going away," Michael said, relaxing his grip on his bow.

And sure enough, the ginormous drakon slithered off to wherever it came from, its obnoxiously large tail knocking over dozens pine trees in its wake.

"If you guys want to get some sleep, I'll stand guard tonight," I offered, returning my arrow back to my quiver and slinging my bow over my shoulder.

The two brothers looked at each other.

"We can't ask you to do that," Michael said, fidgeting with his camp beads. "You weren't supposed to be out here anyways."

"Yeah, Chiron told us you were supposed to stay away from the borders."

"Is that really what he told you both?" I asked, shock flooding my voice. I knew he was afraid, but I didn't think it had been this severe.

"He didn't tell us much," continued Lee, "but he wants you here under his supervision. Don't know what you could've done to get this much attention from him."

"I mean, Chiron's always been pretty relaxed around you," Michael agreed. "I think he's just on edge with this whole Titan uprising mess."

"I'll have to talk with him later, then. Seriously, though, my offer still stands."

"Nah, I think we'll stay here. What do you think Lee?"

"I'll stay if you stay."

Michael gave me a blinding smile, imitating his father perfectly even if the sun wasn't supposed to rise for another three hours. "You can't get rid of us that easily, Andy."

I held my hands up in surrender. "Fine, but I better not hear any complaints from either one of you tomorrow during training. Now, who's down for some cards?"

"Me!" the two exclaimed happily.

The three of us sat down and played cards until the sun came up, none of us moving from border patrol until we heard the conch shell that signaled breakfast.

Thank the gods. I was already craving coffee, having become addicted to the stuff during the school year. And with the way my internal clock worked, if I didn't have caffeine in my system by nine in the morning, I'd get a headache later.

Ugh, when did I turn into an old lady?

I took my breakfast to go that morning, much to Percy and Tyson's confusion. I waved them off, telling them we'd talk later, taking a bite out of my bagel as I walked over to Chiron, who was calmly sipping at his orange juice.