S1E1 Tape 1, Side A

Present:

This school & this town fucking sucks! There I said it. It can't get any worse. A month ago I lost my best friend, Jeff Atkins. To make things worse I almost lost another close friend, Hannah Baker. Jeff died in a car accident while Hannah tried to takes her own life. What has the world come to now? My name is Ricky Santiago, I have lived in Evergreen County all my life. I've known Jeff Atkins since we were kids and he was a year older than me. My mother & his mother are good friends and we grew up together. He was the star baseball player for Liberty High Tiger and he was the best. He was their number starting pitcher and he was an Ace. A month ago we went to Jessica Davis' back to school party at her place. It was the start for my Junior year and the start of his Senior year. That was the night he died. The police said he drunk but that's bullshit! I was with him all night and he only drank 1 beer, that was 2 hours before he took off for a beer run and never came back. But I know he wasn't drunk, I was at the crash site and I noticed the STOP sign knocked down. The cops think he knocked it down with his car, but the way it was knocked down there's no way he knocked it down if he was speeding. Someone knocked it down before Jeff. As if losing Jeff was bad enough, Hannah Baker tried to commit suicide. Hannah is a real close friend of mine and she's the only one who believes my theory about the STOP sign. Hannah always did enjoyed listening to my conspiracy theories. That's what I do, I hunt down conspiracies. Everyone at schools calls me The Conspiracy Nut, it's meant to be insulting be I liked the nickname so I ended up owning that name. How true have my conspiracy theories? At least 75% of my theories I have proven right. The last theory that I proved right was when East County High were cheating against Liberty in football Freshman year, they knew exactly the play signs for Liberty Tigers offense. They pulled a New England Patriots on us and I exposed them. Hannah was impressed with that and so was Jeff. Almost losing Hannah hurt a lot more than losing Jeff because it was a suicide attempt. How did I missed the signs? Thank god that her parents called 911 and they got there in time to rush her to the hospital and saved her life. Word is that Hannah is currently in a coma. She did lose a lot of blood when they found her. And now everyone is putting notes and get well cards on her locker? The nerve of them. They treated her like shit and I defended her every time. Did those 2 girls just take a selfie in front of her locker? Those bitches! If Hannah could see this. The bell rings as it's time for class. I pass by her locker and take one last look at all the notes before I head to Communication Class. All those bogus messages, they didn't even know her. I did noticed a drawing of a bunny that she used to get in Communication Class. At least I know that one is real. The only people that are actually her friends are me, Clay Jensen, & Tony Padilla. I get to Communication Class where our teacher Mrs. Bradley is discussing suicide prevention.

Mrs. Bradley: So, there are a number of ways to ask for help if you need it... or if your friend needs help, all right? And all this information is either outside my office... or outside the main office. It's on the main page of the Liberty High School website.

Pratters: Mrs. Bradley, can we stop doing this again? I mean, it's been over a week. Shouldn't we like forget it?

Fucking Pratters. He is a grade A asshole. Everyone in class was disgusted at his comments.

Mrs. Bradley: Okay, everyone, thanks.

Pratters: Seriously, I know, it's tragic and thank god she's still alive... but I don't want to be reminded of it all the time. It's depressing.

Ricky Santiago: Really, Pratters? That's where you draw the line?

Mrs. Bradley: Mr. Santiago, please. We're never done with it, Mr. Pratters, which is why it's important to know the signs that the person you care about might need help. I mean, are they withdrawing from friends and family? Is there a change in their appearance?