S1E3 Tape 2, Side A

1 Year Ago:

I'm reading a hardcover of Spider-Man comics in the library that they have when Jeff joins me and has a huge problem. A huge academic problem.

Ricky Santiago: What's wrong Jeff?

Jeff Atkins: I've got a problem. I'm failing U.S History, I need a "C" average or I can't play ball.

Ricky Santiago: What? You have to play. There's gonna be scouts out there. Plus, we are gonna suck without you.

Jeff Atkins: I don't know about that. Bryce, Zach, & Monty can carry the team without me.

Ricky Santiago: No, they can't. Especially if they're hungover.

Jeff Atkins: Ha ha ha, good one.

Jeff needs help, he really loves playing baseball. He needed to get his grades up or no more baseball.

Ricky Santiago: I got it. You just need a tutor.

Jeff Atkins: A tutor?

Ricky Santiago: Yeah, I know just the guy to do it.

Jeff Atkins: Who?

Ricky Santiago: You remember my friend, Clay?

Jeff Atkins: Yeah, I think I met him once last year. You think he can help?

Ricky Santiago: Yeah, he's super smart and he's on the honor roll with me.

Jeff Atkins: Alright, let's ask him.

If there is anyone who can help out Jeff, it's Clay Jensen. We went to look for him during lunch when we spotted him having lunch with Hannah.

Ricky Santiago: Just the man we were looking for.

Clay Jensen: Huh?

Ricky Santiago: Ah, Hannah, you haven't met yet. This is my best friend, Jeff Atkins. Clay, you remember Jeff?

Hannah Baker: So you the famous Jeff Atkins I heard so much about.

Jeff Atkins: Really?

Hannah Baker: Yeah, Ricky just won't shut up about you.

Ricky Santiago: Because I'm proud of him.

Jeff Atkins: What did this moron say to you?

Hannah Baker: That you're the best player on the baseball team and you're nothing like Justin Foley & Bryce Walker.

Jeff Atkins: That is all true. And I'm sorry for what Justin did to you.

Hannah Baker: Thank you. So, why are you 2 looking for Clay?

Ricky Santiago: Well, Jeff here is in trouble. The trouble...

Jeff Atkins: U.S. History.

Ricky Santiago: He needs a "C" average to play ball and he doesn't have it.

Hannah Baker: Oh, no. That sucks.

Jeff Atkins: Yeah, it does. So I'm here to ask you if you can tutor me for U.S. History.