𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 2: 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒜𝓋𝒶𝓉𝒶𝓇 𝑅𝑒𝓉𝓊𝓇𝓃𝓈

•~•~•~•~•

Kalla had just finished washing and scrubbing the clothes, but as she was about to go hang them, a flare shooting out into the sky not far from the village caught her attention. Her eyes widened in shock, which quickly turned to horror as she knew what it might have meant for them.

The Fire Navy.

Apparently, she wasn't the only one who noticed. Everyone started to gather around, murmuring urgently amongst themselves. The little kids were standing off to the side, looking confused and frightened. Kalla walked over to them, taking a deep breath in before breathing out, calming herself.

"Hey, guys! Don't you worry about what that was, the adults are gonna take care of it." She told them with a small, reassuring smile on her face.

"Kalla...are we in danger?" One of the kids asked innocently, clearly scared.

She looked at the kid for a short second, not wanting to lie but not wanting to scare him more either. "Let's hope not. Whatever the outcome, though, I'll make sure you guys are safe." Kalla said with kind eyes.

"Promise...?" He asked reluctantly, putting his pinky finger out. Kalla chuckled lightheartedly before kneeling down to his height and intertwining her pinky with his.

"Promise." She said, earning a small smile from the boy and the rest of the kids. She straightened, "Now, let's go over to where the rest of the tribe is, yeah?"

Kalla gestured over to where the group of people were standing and the kids quickly ran over. She followed swiftly behind them, making her way to the front of the group where Sokka stood, a hard glare on his face as he stared straight ahead. Kalla looked to where he and everyone else was looking to see Aang and her sister walking towards them.

The kids cheered and smiled when they saw Aang. "Yay, Aang's back!"

Some ran over to where he stood, circling around him. Aang offered them a big smile of his own in greeting.

Sokka suddenly stepped forward, an enraged look on his face. "I knew it! You signaled the Fire Navy with that flare!" He pointed accusingly at Aang. "You're leading them straight to us, aren't you?!"

"Sokka!" Kalla called his name as she stepped up next to him, obviously shocked and infuriated he would ever suggest such a thing about someone who's been nothing but helpful to them since they met.

He ignored his older sister and continued to stand his ground. Aang and Katara walked up to the group, the latter speaking up next. "Aang didn't do anything. It was an accident." She told them, defending her now-friend.

"Yeah, we were on a ship and there was this booby trap and, well, we— we boobied right into it." Aang explained, scratching the back of his head nervously.

"Katara, you shouldn't have gone on that ship. Now we could all be in danger!" Gran-gran scolded as Kalla thought about all that could happen if the Fire Navy did find them.

"They could destroy our home. They could hurt the people, hurt my siblings, or worse—" Kalla thought, churning with anxiety and fear as she thought back to the day 6 years ago where everything took a turn for the worst. Aang's voice quickly ripped her out of her thoughts before they got too dark, which she was thankful for.