Chapter 8: Work work work

The next few weeks flew by quickly. There was a lot of work to be done, with the top priority being Amity Tower. Kai and the students worked with the Ace Ops to protect supply runs to Amity from grimm and the occasional bandits, as well as protect the construction site too. Also, they assisted in aiding Mantle's defenses against grimm attacks and other domestic activities as the occasion may be. In addition, Kai still accompanied the Ace Ops on several personal missions for Ironwood, including following up on the ongoing investigation on the murders in Mantle. Any time not spent on missions, was spent on training instead, honing already learnt abilities and picking up new skills as well. The Ace Ops gladly lent a hand in training the students; well they weren't actually students anymore; and even the General himself personally gave lessons to Oscar. Speaking of training...

Kai: "Ready when you are, Schnee" He took a stance and pointed Ghost Blaze at the white haired female standing on the other side of the training room, and smiled, "I've actually been looking forward to this". His opponent took a stance of her own, more rigid and uptight, brandishing her own blade at him.

Winter: "Hm. Try not to disappoint me" Without another word, Kai dashed forward quickly, almost a blur, with a wide swing at his opponent. Winter blocked, but Kai then followed up with another quick strike, and then another. But Winter was quick as well, and she was able to keep up with him, deflecting each strike as it came with one of her own. The barrage came to an end as the two blades met in the middle, with two pairs of blue eyes staring into each other.

Winter: "You've gotten better. Much faster, I'll admit" Kai raised an amused brow, "Careful Winter, that almost sounded like a compliment. Where's the famous criticism?". In response, Winter shifted her wrist, and a second blade dropped from underneath her weapon. Catching the blade with her left hand, she used the one in her right to knock back Kai; whose eyes widened in surprise; creating an opening, and then quickly spun in a 360 degree arc on her heel, using the momentum to slash at him with her second blade. But, Kai lept backwards a few feet, just narrowly avoiding the blade as the tip grazed his torso, and took up his stance again.

Kai: "That was close"

Winter: "You're still too brash. Too arrogant." Kai rolled his eyes, "Yup, there it is", but Winter went on, "With all that power you have you feel invincible. And with that, comes carelessness."

Kai: "Come on, I'm not even using my semblance right now"

Winter: "And still you underestimate your opponent."

Kai: "Oh, so you're just asking me not to underestimate you" He smiled, "You Schnees and your pride. You know, the same could be said for you" Winter raised a brow ever so slightly, "Pardon?"

Kai: "I'm more than just my semblance. Perhaps you shouldn't underestimate me" And with that, he flung his blade right at Winter, much to her surprise. Snapping out of her shock quickly, she reacted by swinging out her left arm to knock away the black blade, sending it spinning into the air. But then Kai appeared suddenly before her, and caught the blade high over his head. His eyes flashed gold, and he brought his blade down with a mighty swing into the ground, causing a large pillar of golden flames to erupt from the spot where the blade landed.

Winter moved backwards just in time, and then pointed her blade at the pillar of flames, as she sent her glyphs towards it. The pillar of flames quickly became a pillar of ice. Without hesitation, Kai moved his blade across it in a golden flash, slicing the pillar in half. As the top section fell off, Winter emerged from behind it, blades raised. Eyes reverting again to blue, Kai blocked the strike as she came down, but she quickly followed up with a series of strikes from both blades. Kai managed to keep up, parrying each blow, but deciding that this would become a problem in the long run, he jumped backwards to put some distance between them.