Chapter 17: Facing the Ace Ops

There was a loud boom sound, before Kai crashed into the large hallway, flipping off his hand to regain his balance. Not a second later, Harriet's fist flew past his face as he dodged to the side. The determined huntress threw another punch at blinding speed, then another, then a high kick, but Kai dodged, parried and weaved, reacting fast enough to keep up with her speedy attacks, the gleam of his red eyes eerie as they followed her movements with precision. Just then, Kai spotted two large yellow arms reaching out from behind his opponent; Vine's semblance. Thinking fast, Kai parried another blow from Harriet with his blade, then struck out his foot into her torso to send her flying backwards. Then, he lept into the air, just on time as Vine's aura arms grabbed the empty space where he had once been.

Elm: "Hrrrahh!" Kai looked up with a frown to see Elm already above him, cominig down with a mighty swing. He pointed his left hand at her and quickly fired off a blazing stream of red flames. The wide area flames completely covered Elm's vision, and as they got closer, she had to stop her swing to try and shield herself. Meanwhile, the recoil of the blast had sent Kai back towards the ground, but before his legs even touched the ground, Marrow's boomerang appeared in front of him with a menacing spin. Kai's blade swung into action, knocking the spinning blade away in the opposite direction.

He could barely recover before Harriet appeared before him again, launching into a kick. There was no time to dodge, he could only raise a hand to block, the kick sending him back a few steps, but Harriet already zipped behind him for a follow-up. With almost inhuman reactions, Kai spun around with his blade in a deadly swing. But then, he realized the blade was headed for her neck, so he quickly spun it to the blunt end at the last second. The back of the blade hit Harriet in the neck mid-strike, dropping her to a knee. Kai then hopped away just in time as Elm's hammer smashed into the spot where he was. But while he was in the process of evading, Vine's aura arms slammed into him mid-air, smashing him into a wall and Kai let out a grunt at the impact as his opponents grouped around him.

Marrow: "There's still time for you to surrender Kai. This doesn't have to escalate any further". Out of all the Ace Ops, Marrow was the only one who had an apologetic look on his face. It was clear he would rather not be engaging in this battle with someone he considered a friend. And on that level, Kai could relate.

Kai: "I wish it didn't have to come to this. We're all playing right into Salem's hands"

Harriet: "And I suppose you would know all about that now, wouldn't you? Being her son and all" Her gaze was cold and unwavering, and Kai felt his chest tighten.

Kai: "Come on Harriet. We're all on the same side, we always have been. I'm not working for her". Harriet scoffed, "Don't give me that crap. I had all you kids pegged from the start".

Elm: "You kept secrets from us, betrayed us!"

Kai: "We did what we had to"

Vine: "As are we. Resisting will only make this worse". Kai let out a sigh, then the lines on his blade glowed bright red again, "Sorry, but we can't let Ironwood have his way". With a flick of his wrist, Kai swiftly sliced through Vine's aura arms to free himself. Harriet immediately rushed forward, but Kai already pushed off the wall and flipped over her head, landing on the other side of the hall. But the distance meant nothing, as Harriet was already back in his face within seconds.

Harriet: "Is running away all you can do?" She appeared and reappeared multiple times, zooming in and out of attacks which were either blocked or dodged. While she was engaging Kai, the rest of the team caught up, and Kai had to bend low as Elm's hammer came swinging at his head. A swift kick from Harriet found it's way to his jaw, and as he reeled from the attack, Vine came spinning in from above. Kai rolled away to avoid Vine's aura arms, but he fell right into Marrow's path. The faunus threw his weapon at Kai, who swatted it away with a flick of his blade.