Chapter Nine

In the end, they had decided on a few ground rules; they were to talk to one another before making any kind of announcement to anyone else, they would go on one 'date' a week to prove their relationship is "real", Chat Noir is to help Marinette with her fashion submission (as a model of course, how else would she makes sure the clothing fits?), and most importantly – they weren't to tell anyone else that the relationship is fake (both decided their Kwami was exempt from this rule).

The weekend was a busy time for them both – as Marinette was busy working on her submission with Chat as her assistant. Together they managed to make two semi-usable mock-ups.

Through-out the process, Marinette showed him how to use a thread and needle, how to sew together a seam, and all of the rest of the basics. While Marinette worked with the sewing machine, he hand-sewed the rest.

But as they worked, Chat's mind began to wonder. As Adrien, he had hung out with Marinette the other day and thought they had had great chemistry. Why hadn't it worked out then?

What's stopping him from being with Marinette as himself – as Adrien?

Chat Noir paused mid-stich and peered over at Marinette working diligently at her sewing machine. Why had she agreed to fake-date him as Chat Noir but had avoided Adrien? What was the real reason?

Marinette had been working for hours at her fashion competition submission and was beginning to feel her back ache, her fingers stiffen, and her head was fuzzy. If she continued to work at it for much longer without any breaks, she was going to lose it.

She finished the seem she was working on and turned off her sewing machine. Turning around to look at Chat Noir she was startled to find him already looking at her. Why? Did she have a stray piece of fabric on her face or something? Why did he look constipated?

"What's wrong?" She asked breathlessly.

He looked at her wide-eyed, as if he was a deer caught in someone's headlights. Did he really look that upset? He hadn't thought so. Apparently, he thought wrong! "Oh, uh nothing. Want to take a break?"

She thought about it with a mischievous smile. "Yes, actually. I was thinking about it, now would be a pretty great time to take me out on that first 'fake date'."

His eyes widened, if that was even possible. "What, right now?"

"Yes. Unless there's a problem?"

He paused to think about it. What was the problem?

Except for the fact that he couldn't stop wondering why Marinette didn't want to date him as Adrien and that it really did bother him for some reason, and that he didn't know why or what to do about it, there was no problem.

Well, he did want to be a tad more prepared ahead of time. He had wanted to make it special; he wanted to choose a special restaurant and get a reservation and everything. He had wanted to impress Marinette – to sweep her off of her feet.

This was not the way to sweep her off of her feet.

He – pun fully intended – felt like she had swept him off of his feet, by tugging the rug out from under him.

He shook his head. He could do this! It's no big deal – he'll do all of that later. Something more casual would be better for a first date anyways.

"Chat?"

"Oh, sorry about that, I was just... thinking. I would love to go out on that date with you."

"Fake date."

"Yeah, fake date." He ignored the pang in his chest at her words. Of-course it was a fake date, he knew that! This didn't bother him at all. "So, where do you want to go?"