Chapter 26- Fool

When Yama called back all of the children from their shuriken practice, only five arrived.

Iruka was missing.

Yama didn't mention it, and the the other students, who had all heard Iruka's earlier outburst didn't want to stick their heads into the conflict either. They were content to let sleeping dogs lie.

Yama ordered the remaining five kids to start sparring in a round robin format.

2 would always be on the platform, and one person would rotate in and out at a time, resulting in each person fighting for two straight bouts before resting for three.

Before Yama left them, he had a few parting words.

  "No weapons allowed, taijutsu only, light contact. Spar ends on a ring out or landing a blow that would have been seriously damaging if it were at full force.

  The three people outside the match will decided if a blow qualifies to end the match or not.

  Continue for the next hour, or until the day ends if I do not come back. Spars end as draws at the 6 minute mark.

  Any questions?"

The academy students shook their head No, and Yama walked off towards the shuriken range that Iruka was at.

As he left their sight, they started to talk among each other.

Akimichi Domaru and Hyuga Hikaru volunteered to go up first. The loser of their bout would be the first to step down.

Aburame Shimiko was third, followed by Tsubaki and Mizuki.

None of the matches would be too uneven, considering that each student had similar enough levels in Taijutsu for now. The differences would increase throughout puberty and as each ninja specialized in the future, but it was okay for now.

Hikaru and Domaru stepped up onto the platform, making the seal of confrontation before beginning their spar.

The two fought in completely different ways.

Domaru was an Akimichi, and their immense strength lended itself well to the Konoha Strong Fist. His strikes were powerful, linear, and fast. Of course, his status inside the Akimichi clan as the next aide to the Clan Heir meant that Domaru received no small amount of instruction and tutoring in his arts on the weekends from his clan elders.

Hikaru was a bit more of a technical fighter, and with his background in Juuken as a Hyuga, his style was much more reminiscent of the Konoha Soft Fist.

When the bout started, both students charged at one another, and a flurry of strikes and blocks erupted between the two.

Yama eventually meandered his way to the range that Iruka was still practicing on within a few minutes from assigning sparring to the rest of the class.

Yama made no attempt to hide his presence or sneak up on the young academy student.

Iruka obviously noticed him, but made no acknowledgement of Yama's presence.

Iruka continued to throw his kunai and shuriken against the practice targets, and for another two minutes, Yama said nothing and allowed him.

Yama, however, eventually broke the silence.

  "Did you forget the time?"

Iruka sneered at Yama and snidely replied before going back to his shuriken practice.

  "No."

  "Did you know we were going to spar after shuriken practice?"

  "Yes."