Chapter 37- Meetings

Heguri sat at his desk in the Genin Corps headquarters and racked his brain. It was early morning in Konoha, before the sun had even come up. That being said, Heguri's day had long since started.

The work never ended, and the Hydra of leading the Genin Corps stood strong and menacing before him.

What laid ahead of him seemed like an insurmountable and unenviable task.

He had been commanded to reorganize the Genin Corps into five divisions that would play important roles n the upcoming war.

Village Defense was self explanatory, and the genin he had in his command would be an important force in keeping the village secure.

The village mainly relied on seals over combat to remain defended, so mere genin could man the walls and stop any invasion from destroying the heart and nerve of the Land of Fire

Cvilian Security was a new division. Now that the Uchiha Military Police were being disbanded, something had to take their place.

While the military side of things were being relegated back to the original chains of command, the Uchiha MP had played a large role in solving civilian disputes and evacuating them in times of danger.

Deliveries, Messaging and Operations were where the biggest source of stress came from for Heguri.

He had to send genin beyond the village walls for those divisions.

Deliveries were responsible for protecting supply trains from bandits and civilians. They would travel between the village proper and any military installation. It was usually safe.

However, they had the depressing task of being the canary in the coal mine,

Genin could definitely handle any bandits that may come around, but enemy shinobi were out of the question.

If enemy shinobi were behind the frontlines, the supplies would simply never show up at their destination and the genin would be dead and gone.

When genin didn't show up, the hunter-nin and ANBU would start looking for the saboteurs that had gotten past the patrols.

Messaging was similar though a little more dangerous. Genin would be in charge of relaying messages between military installations and help keep communications flowing.

They would only travel patrolled routes behind the lines of combat, but the proximity of the routes to fighting and the speed at which the fronts would shift meant that danger followed the genin everywhere.

Operations was the worst though. Genin were to be forward deployed with the chuunin and jonin and would actually live at the front lines and be in charge of any menial tasking that would waste the time of a higher ranked ninja.

Things like camp makings, cooking, supply tallying, cleaning, feeding the injured, or similar tasks.

They wouldn't be responsible for fighting, but the problem was that the genin were subject to sieges and ambushes the same.

When a fortification would fall, the genin would die for sure because they couldn't even run away like another ninja might be able to.

And an enemy ninja had no reason to take a genin prisoner, they had no information, were wroth nothing in prisoner exchange, and took up valuable resources as prisoners of war.

So they were simply mercy killed wherever they were found.

The last two wars had had death rates for Operations Genin in excess of fifty percent.

Heguri focused on Konoha doctrine and started planning out how to divide his forces.

Konoha had 5 bases around the country between Konoha and its borders. 3 bases were to defend from Iwa, Suna and the minor villages on the western border, one was for Kumo, and the last was for Kiri.