Chapter 19: JEALOUSY

It was around four o'clock when the station received the call about Jimmy Brennan. Alex sighed, another childhood friend knocked off. They drove to the house to find a flustered Norman and a dead Jimmy Brennan lying at the bottom of some steep steps. Alex tried to read the kid's face; he was obviously distraught over the incident. "What happened?" he mumbled.

"We were fighting and he came at me. I pushed him off me and he fell down the steps," he started to cry.

"Where's your mom at? The Motel?" he asked him softly.

            "No. She's at city hall. She started her new job today," the boy told him through sniffles.

            "All right. Well Officer Jeffcoat and Deputy Lynn are gonna take you two back to the station. I'll go get your mom." He wanted to make the boy feel comfortable—safe. He left the house and headed over to city hall. He rolled his eyes at the thought of her having the seat on city council. This was a bad idea—he could feel it.

            The woman at the front desk looked surprised to see him. "Sheriff Romero, how can I help you?"

            "Hey, Linda. I'm looking for Mrs. Bates," he muttered in a hurry.

            She gave him an odd look before continuing. "She's down that hall right there." She seemed hesitant to tell him.

            "Thanks." He shuffled down the hall, the sound of her voice becoming apparent.

            "Let's cut right through the crap." It was a man's voice speaking now. Alex approached the door to spot Norma and a man sitting across from each other. "I know you don't want to bypass," the man told her. His words came to a halt at the sight of the sheriff.

            "I need to talk to Norma," he mumbled. She looked at him as if he was the last person she expected to see.

            "Oh okay," the man said hesitantly. His eyes darted back and forth between them.

            "Excuse us," she smiled. She seemed relieved—like he was saving her. She followed Alex out into the hall. "That was really embarrassing, Alex. Why'd you pull me outta there like that?" And now she was scolding him.

            He gave her a concerned look, but kept a calm tone. "Because something's happened. I need you to come with me."

            Her face tensed with worry. She nearly stopped in her tracks. "What? Is it Norman? Or Dylan? What? What happened?"

            He tried his best to soothe her and keep her walking. "It's okay. Just come with me." The whole building was staring at them like they were the newest attraction. Norma was fuming. He could tell she was getting fed up with him.

            Once they were outside she gave up. "What the hell is going on? Tell me right now," she demanded.

            He didn't want to frustrate her any more. "Norma, stop it. Something happened, all right. Norman's fine," his voice was stern. "He was with Cody Brennan at her place. And there was some kind of fight apparently. Her father's dead."

            She was clearly annoyed by the mention of the girl's name, but she loosened at the news. She seemed worried for her. "How did he die?"           

            "Norman's saying it was self defense," he sighed. "It was a fight and her dad got pushed down the stairs." She looked at him gravely. "Let's just get you down to the station, all right?" He led her back to his SUV. This was the second time she's been in his car. The first time was when he arrested her. He looked over at her to see if she was all right. She stared out the window without saying a word the whole ride.