Chapter 38: MOMENTS

Alex went into the kitchen to clean up the left over Chinese food. He couldn't deny it anymore—he needed Norma, no one else would do. Natalia followed after him. "So what does this mean?" She was annoyed; he'd never seen her this way. He couldn't blame her.

"It doesn't mean anything," he muttered, throwing the empty containers in the trash. She knew how he felt about Norma—it was obvious to everyone but Norma. But he wouldn't throw everything away for her, not this time.

She rolled her eyes at him. "A random woman comes to your doorstep in tears and you take her in with open arms. I'm just supposed to overlook that?" She was shouting at him.

So he shouted back. "She doesn't have anyone else." He could feel himself breaking. He was losing control over himself again. This is the effect Norma Bates had on him. "It doesn't mean anything," he lied. He took a step closer to her, hoping that would comfort her. He wasn't really sure how to act around women. He never really had a real relationship.

She crossed her arms in front of her. "I'm not leaving you alone with her."

He furrowed his brow. "What you don't trust me?" He tried to laugh it off.

"I trust you." He didn't believe her. "It's her. I just think she's a little...unhinged. That's all." Her words pained him.

He stared at her for moment. "You don't know her."

"Normal women don't show up on the sheriff's doorstep in the middle of the night. She's after something, Alex. I know women like her." He narrowed his eyes at her, but she stood tall. "She's using you."

He felt his heart begin to sink at the thought of Bob. "Well it's my house." He moved past her to the doorway. "And if you don't like it you can leave." He watched as she scoffed and headed to the door without another word. The sound of the door slamming relieved him. He sighed, walking down the hall to stand in the doorway of his bedroom.

She sat on his bed upright, her head against the headboard. "Your girlfriend leave?" She rolled her eyes.

He moved to sit on the foot of the bed. "Why are you here?" His voice was barely audible in the quiet house. He kept his gaze on the hands that sat in lap. He couldn't believe she was here—but he told himself that she only wanted a favor from him and nothing else.

She ignored him as usual. "How long have you been seeing that girl?"

"Why do you care?" He caught her. She couldn't say anything; she avoided eye contact with him, desperately searching the room for something to say. He turned towards her. "Are you jealous?" he mocked.

"No," she scoffed. "She's the one who seemed jealous."

"Who wouldn't be?" Their eyes met, but she quickly drew hers away. He sensed the tension rising in the air. "So are you gonna tell me what happened?"

She took a sharp intake of breath. She wasn't quite sure how to begin or if she was ready to. "Um." Her voice was uneasy. He could see the pain filling her eyes. "I caught Norman wearing my dress."

Alex gave her a funny look. "Norma, I'm sure he's just—"

"He thinks he's me, Alex." She was slowly breaking down into nothing. No one could save her. "He blacks out and he talks to himself as if he's me. I heard him." Her eyes stared into his. "Alex, I think he's gonna kill me. I mean like really kill me." The tears began to form in her eyes.

He shook his head in disbelief. "Why would you say that?"

"Because—the things he says." She cringed at the thought.

"Like what?" He needed more information out of her to fully understand.

"I don't know. I'm just so scared. I can't go back home. I don't know what to do anymore." She started to sob again. He got up and walked to the other side of the bed, climbing on and pulling her into him. She nuzzled her face into his neck as the tears fell from her eyes, settling on his hot skin. She started to regain her strength at the feeling of his arms around her. "At this point, I'm kind of hoping Bob Paris has him taken away."

Alex swallowed hard. "That won't happen," he mumbled.

She didn't get it. "Alex, he's dangerous. He needs to be—"

"I killed him, Norma." She didn't move; he felt her holding her breath. He couldn't tell her why he did it, but he feared she'd leave if he didn't say something quick. He was still mad at her. He didn't know if he'd ever get over being mad at her. He blamed her for everything. "Now the DEA is after me. I could lose my job. I have nothing left. So I guess we're both a little lost here." He felt her slowly start to breathe again as she shifted her body against him. A pain formed inside him as he felt her lips on his neck. Each peck drove him to insanity. She made her way up to his jaw; he was losing it. He's wanted this for so long, but not like this. "I can't," he uttered. It killed him. She pulled away from him—an offended look on her face. He reached down for her hand. "Don't leave." She wasn't sure what to do—what he wanted. He didn't know what he wanted.

She slowly leaned back against him. He could feel her body heating up against his; it made him nervous. They both stared blankly at the wall in front of them, both with no clue what was happening. Being Norma, she finally broke the silence, but she didn't look at him—she kept her eyes trained on the bare wall. "So what are you gonna do now?"

He sighed, glancing over at her. "I don't know."