Chapter 57: DON'T GET TOO CLOSE

It had been about a week or two since Alex last saw Norma. He knew she was dealing with a lot because of Norman and he wanted to give her some space. They both needed to think things through. But today was the sheriff's election. Alex was nervous driving into work. This could be his last day as sheriff. It had been a long twenty-four years on the force. It consumed him. He didn't know who he was without his title. He'd be lost without it. It defined him as a person. It was the one thing in his life that would never change...yet here he was.

The whole day ended up as a disaster. The bypass was finally finished, there were home robberies left and right—Alex was a wreck. His fate lay in the hands of the people. That killed him. He tried to focus on the paperwork in front of him, but anxiety clouded every bit of him. He couldn't think straight.

At four o'clock he headed down to city hall. White Pine Bay never made a big deal of their sheriff's election. The citizens didn't really care who was sheriff just as long as they could keep living their lives peacefully. Alex took the seat across from his only surviving opponent—Milton Arbogast. He was the lead detective in Portland. He seemed like decent man, but Alex harbored a hatred for anyone who wanted something of his. He silently glared at the man from across the table. He'd be damned if anyone took his job from him. He took pride in being the sheriff, though he often felt no appreciation for it.

After a moment, Mayor Woodriff stood before them. Alex zoned out as the man began to speak. His mind flooded with thoughts of Norma. Anxiety filled him. If he wasn't the sheriff, he wouldn't be able to protect her or her family. He'd be useless to them. What would he be if he wasn't the sheriff? What would he do? He was nothing without his job. He was so invested in it that he never really thought about anything else. That was why he was so alone. He couldn't hang on to anything—to anyone. Except Norma. She was the one thing that didn't change...though they had changed. He went from wallowing in his resentment towards her to falling madly in love with her. How could he stop himself? She wasn't anything that he thought he wanted. She was the biggest mess he'd ever seen. But he loved her uncontrollably. He couldn't fight his attraction to her. She was his fate. This was his destiny. "Alex, you've done a great service to our town. We are very thankful to all that you have done for us. But it's time to say goodbye." The words pierced through him, shattering what was left. "Detective Arbogast, welcome to White Pine Bay."

Alex left the party early. He felt odd being there—like he was a stranger to White Pine Bay. He didn't belong there anymore. He drove back to the station and went into his office to pack his things. It wasn't so bad. He was just moving down the hall. But he wasn't in charge anymore. Someone else was taking over. Someone the town barely knew. Someone he had a feeling he wouldn't like. Things were changing. And Alex hated change.

When he finished unpacking, he grabbed his new set of keys. He wasn't allowed to drive the sheriff's SUV anymore. He had to drive a different SUV—one that was arguably too used to be considered new anymore. He grunted as he climbed inside, the smell of old man sweat suffocating him. He tried to roll down the windows, but they were stuck. As he pulled out of the station he found himself driving in the direction of the Bates Motel. Normally after such a day, he would head down to the local bar. But tonight he was seeking a new kind of comfort.

He knocked on the door anxiously. It had been a while since they'd seen or talked to each other. He was almost avoiding her on purpose. He was afraid to get too close. She made him vulnerable and weak.

She peered at him the window before opening the door. She stared at him in confusion. "Alex, what are you doing here?"

He shook his head lightly, chuckling to himself. "I don't know."

Her eyes softened him. "Do you wanna come inside?" She moved aside to let him and closed the door behind him. "Did you eat?"

He nodded, following her into the living room. "Yeah. I ate earlier. I just wanted to check on you...see how you were doing." Her smile warmed him. It was something he needed. "They finished the bypass today."

She rolled her eyes and took a seat on the couch. "Yeah. What else is new?"

His eyes dropped to the floor as he took a seat next to her. He was nervous being alone with her. He felt like they were back at square one, though she hadn't done anything. He gazed at her softly. "How are you?"

She smiled. She was finally happy for once. "I'm fine. How are you?"

He sighed deeply. "I've been better."

She shifted in her seat. "Wasn't the sheriff's election today?" He shot her a look, fighting back the urge to yell and scream. "What?"

He shook his head. He couldn't ever seem to get away. "Promise me that things will never change between us." He glanced over at her confused expression. "No matter what happens...this doesn't change."

She nodded hesitantly. "Okay. I promise."

He took a deep breath and stared off into the room. "I can't protect you anymore."

She wouldn't move. "Alex, what are you talking about?"

He stared at her plainly. "I'm not the sheriff anymore."

She stared at him for a moment before moving closer to him and wrapping her arms around him. "Alex." He held onto her, pulling tightly to him. He never wanted to let go. He couldn't lose her. She nuzzled her face into his neck. "Things will never change between us." He hoped it was the truth.