Chapter 60: MOONLIGHT SERENADE

There wasn't anything left to like about work. Alex never really made friends at work. He never made friends anywhere—he never tried. He felt a pit burrow in his stomach as he stepped inside his old office. It wasn't a pleasant experience being back in his office. Everything had changed. He found himself criticizing every crooked frame that hung on the wall. He thought about barricading the door and claiming the office forever, but he knew he couldn't. That office was everything to him. He had called it home one lonely night. His office was his protection. It was the place no one dared to bother him—except Norma Bates. He took a seat in front of his old desk as his thoughts began to circle around her. He wondered why she had stayed. No matter what Alex said to her she kept coming back. He had arrested her and she still came back asking for favors...proclaiming their friendship. She was his only friend. She was the only person he cared to hold on to.

He heard footsteps near the doorway, but he didn't turn around. Milton took a seat at his desk, eyeing the former sheriff. "Alex."

He stared back at him plainly. He never really understood why he hated people...he just hated them. It killed him to see someone else sitting at his desk in his office. He could already tell that he and the new sheriff were not going to get along very well. That was evident.

Milton sighed and dropped his eyes to the open case file that lay in front of him. "Bradley Martin. You found her in the trunk of a car at the bottom of the bay?"

"A fisherman found her." They stared at each other for a moment, each fighting for control. "We thought she committed suicide about a year ago. Something must've happened to her. She might've cut town." Alex wouldn't budge. He knew the man had no idea what he was doing. He had probably never laid eyes on White Pine up until recently. "How'd you hear about this job anyway?"

The sheriff's eyes narrowed at him. "I don't think that's any of your business."

Alex leaned back in his seat. He felt oddly comfortable there. "Yeah. Why not? I mean I did ruin this town for over ten years. I would consider myself pretty useful to a guy like you."

Milton smirked slightly. "We're going to investigate this case, Alex. Nothing's going to stop me." He closed the file and placed it aside, leaning closer to him. "I find it a little concerning that you would allow this case to go cold. I've heard great things about you. Things like how you always solved the case. You always caught the bad guys. Nothing could get in your way. Up until about three years ago. That's when things started to change, right? You shot your own deputy. The man you worked with everyday. Shot him in cold blood. How'd that feel?"

He didn't feel anything. The only time he ever felt anything was when he thought about Norma. She had a hold on him that he couldn't control. He couldn't break free. The truth was...he didn't want to. He never broke eye contact with the sheriff. He needed him to know where they stood. "I killed a man that I had known my whole life. We grew up together. We lived down the street from each other. I knew his parents. I knew his sister. I was at their funeral. People die. That's a fact of life." He sent him a sad smile before he stood up and made his way towards the door. "I've got streets to patrol."

Later on in the evening, he headed back to the Bates' house. He climbed the steps and knocked on the door hesitantly. He contemplated on going home. It looked as though the lights weren't on. He wasn't in a good mood; work had drained him, besides he had a fresh bottle of scotch calling his name. He could hear the swell of music as she opened the first door.

She smiled as she peered at him through the window, opening the door. "Hi." They stared at each other for a moment, each taking the other in. "Come on in." She moved aside and let him pass her before closing both doors.

The music filled him. It was Moonlight Serenade. "Glenn Miller?" He turned around to face her. The house was lit by candlelight. It shined against her face beautifully. She was a masterpiece.

She took in his hand and led him into the living room. They stood in front of the record player, the sound of the music playing inside them. She gazed at him. "There were some old records left in the house when we moved in."

He nodded and looked about the dim lit room. "The power go out?"

She placed his hand on her waist and began to move with the music. "No."

It made him a little nervous. "Norma, I don't dance." She ignored his comment and placed her head on his chest as they swayed to the music. It soothed him. He liked holding her close to him. It was nothing like anything he ever had experienced before. He was under her spell. He rested his chin on her head and led her around the room. It was just them in the world. Nothing else mattered. Nothing else existed. This was what love was. It was something so foreign to them both. And they were uncovering it together.

When the record ended, she pulled him into the kitchen. He sent her a stern look. "You didn't have to make me dinner." He eyed her smile as she poured him a glass of wine. They sat down at the table. She allowed him to feel happy. It was different experience with her. "Are you gonna tell me what this is about?"

She glanced up at him. "It's not about anything."

He furrowed his brow. "Then why'd you do it?"

Her eyes dropped to her plate as silence filled the room. She wouldn't answer him. They ate in silence. When their meal was over, she led him upstairs to her bedroom. He could feel his body tighten as she got close. She was perfect in every way. He allowed his breath to hit her face. "Why did you do it?"

Her lips gently settled on his, sending his heartbeat into a frenzy. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer to him. He could spend the rest of his life with only her beside him. She was all he needed. She pulled away him, her eyes staring into his. "I did it because you deserve it."