Chapter 34: LIES

As he woke up, the first thought on his mind was Norma—everything she'd done the day before. They'd taken a step forward. He needed to do something for her that showed how much he really cared about her. Then it hit him—her car. He quickly got dressed and drove out to the car dealership that was just out of town. He parked in front of the building and got out, approaching the car salesman.

"Can I help you, sir?" The man's eyes lit up. He looked like he hadn't seen a customer in days.

Alex couldn't believe he was doing this. He'd never done anything like this for anyone. He'd never felt this way about anyone. "Yeah, I'm looking for an early seventies Mercedes, light green—" He stopped at the sight of the man's finger flinging in his face; a look of disgust forming.

Alex knew what was coming. The man was like every other salesman. "We actually have one of those." He began to walk backwards towards the back lot. "Come on, let me show it to you. It's got some character, but it's—"

"I've seen it," Alex cut him off. He sighed to himself. "She wants it back...the woman who sold it. Can you just get the keys, please?" The man nodded and headed inside the building. Alex shook his head at himself. He couldn't believe the man this woman had turned him into. She had complete control over him, and he knew it.

The salesman came back out with the keys in his hand. "Your girlfriend's not too happy with the new car, is she?" he laughed, handing him the keys. "You gotta keep the reins on a woman like that."

Alex rolled his eyes. "I'll bring the other one back."

The man quickly spoke up. "There's a three hundred dollar fee on all returns." He smiled widely.

The sheriff sighed and pulled out his wallet—the things he'd do for this woman. After paying the man, he went out in search for her car. He found it in the back hidden behind some ugly station wagons. He sighed when he got a clearer view of the car. What the hell did she do now? Ram down a bear? He rolled his eyes and climbed in the car, heading to the Bates Motel.

As he pulled up to the motel, a feeling of dread filled him. This had Bob written all over it. He was gonna kill him. He spotted Norma standing on a pile of dirt and pulled the car closer to her. He watched as she turned around, at first a bit confused.

"Oh my god. Oh my god, my car!" The sound of her excitement eased his anger. She leaped off the pile of dirt and ran towards the car as he got out. "You got my car back, Alex." She looked at him sweetly. "Alex. Thank you."

He shrugged it off as he approached her. "What's with the hole?" He pointed to the enormous pit that stood before them.

She looked out at the pit then back at him, smiling slightly. "Bob Paris is building a pool just like he said he would. You were there."

He stared back at her warily. "It's pretty deep." He looked down to find that she had nothing in her hands. "Where are the plans?"

She hesitated for a moment. She knew how he was. "Um, I don't have them, but I have a call into Bob. The worker said that it's a pool and there are plans."

He knew what Bob was up to. "Okay." He smiled as she pounded on the car excitedly. "I'll take the other car back for you. Get me the pink slip."

"Sure." She turned to leave but stopped herself, turning around to face him. "I cannot believe that you did this for me—that you realized how much this car meant to me."

Alex looked down at the car shyly. He didn't expect her to react this way. "I'm a cop...I'm observant."

"That is so nice." She brought her smile up to him. "Why did you do it?" She took a step closer to him.