Chapter 51: A THOUSAND FORMS OF FEAR

They burst through the front door, arms wrapped around each other. They needed each other. They needed some sense of security, because they were both falling apart. He never kissed a woman with so much love in his heart. She was different from everyone else. She was special. She was his tonic cure. He led her to the bedroom, slipping off their coats in the process.

She broke away from him, her eyes filling his. "I thought you wanted to wait."

He sighed and tugged her closer. "There's been a slight change in plans." He never appreciated anyone the way he appreciated her. He never needed anyone the way he needed her. She helped him in ways she'd never understand. He waited so long just to kiss her that every kiss seems to last a lifetime. She slid off his tie and began unbuttoning his shirt as he continued kissing her. He'd never get enough of her. He loved her. He gently tossed her on the mattress and climbed on top of her. They stared at each other for a moment, each trying to wrap their head around the situation. It was almost unimaginable—the two of them together. But they were meant to be together. It was their destiny. "I like you."

She laughed lightly. "What? You don't love me anymore?" she teased.

He rolled his eyes and leaned down to kiss her. It unbelievable how much he loved her—how much he wanted her. She must have known exactly how he felt about her. Otherwise she wouldn't have kept coming back. There was a loud knock coming from the front door. He peeled himself off of her, sighing deeply. "I'll be right back." He grudgingly walked down the hall to the door. He had no idea who was at the door. No one ever came to visit him—he had no friends to come and visit him. His heart stopped as he peered through the window at the woman. The scowl never left her face. He hated Babbit. He opened the door and stared at her, an unimpressed look on his face. "Can I help you?"

She gazed down at his rumpled clothing. "Are we interrupting something?"

He furrowed his brow, opening the door further to view the other officers. He felt slightly embarrassed. People were slowly closing in on his life. He was losing his room to breathe.

"Sheriff, I'm gonna need you to come with us." He felt his heart pounding, screaming at him to run. The walls were slowly crumbling in on him. He wasn't safe anymore. No one was safe anymore. "I wanna take you down to the station for some questioning."

He didn't break from his careless demeanor. He couldn't crack in front of her. He couldn't let her win. She couldn't just come into his town and act like she ran the place. He felt a presence behind him, but he didn't turn around. He wasn't really sure what to do anymore.

"Alex, what's going on?" It was the most humiliating moment of his life. He felt weak. He wanted to run and hide, but he was tougher than that. He didn't really have a choice.

He turned around and moved towards Norma. "They need me down at the station. I won't be gone that long." He tried to move her back towards the bedroom, but she wouldn't budge.

He could see the worry in her eyes. She knew what was happening. There was no bullshitting her. "Alex."

He could have fallen apart in front her. His world was coming to an end all over again. She was his only reassurance for a better life. "I'll be back." She didn't believe him. He knew that. But he'd never lie to her. "I promise."

Her eyes never left his. He knew this was killing her—he could see it in her eyes. She couldn't disguise anything from him. "I love you."

A pain formed in his heart. He hated leaving her, but he had to. He hated even more that she had to watch this happen to him—on the night of their first date no less. He gently kissed her forehead. "I love you too."