~Lets Get Ready to Rumble~ the Pre-show

"Remind me again what we're looking for?" asks Tim.

I hum as we slowly make our way around the circus grounds. All around the Big Top are a series of stalls and sideshow tractions. They've got everything from palm reading to fire breathing and carnival games. " The eyes,"  I say while attempting to make casual glances at the workers, " you know that old story about the eyes being the window to the soul?"

Damien's expression turns thoughtful, " Grandfather always said you can tell intentions through eyes. Is it the same for ghosts?"

"Not exactly, but that's a story for another day. What we're looking for, for now, are subtle color changes. For example, when they came to Amity, all the workers had red eyes. At first, I thought it was contacts, but it was an effect of the staff," I explain.

" Does the color have significance?" interrogates Bruce.

I shrug my shoulders, "There's a lot of weird eye colors common for us; even our regular eye color is subject to change depending on what we're doing or the circumstance. But, when it comes down to mind control, It usually turns the eyes red or makes it reflect that way."

" And the staff only works on ghosts," says Dick trying to reaffirm.

"Or those with ectoplasm in their system," I say.

" Then why do you want us to look at all the people's eyes? Surely not these many people have been exposed to ectoplasm if it's as rare as you've made us believe," says Tim.

"Overshadowing," I say.

"And we're supposed to know what that means," says Jason.

" Right, right," I say, forgetting they don't know that terminology, " I guess it would be a possession for you. You know, like in The Exorcist."

"That's real!?" Dick sputters.

" Very, and one of the easiest ways to tell this is through the eyes. The eye color won't be the same as it should be, and sometimes even glowing," I say.

"Why didn't you mention this earlier?" asks Bruce.

I look at him guardedly, "If I did, would that change anything?"

"What do you mean, Danyal?" asks Damian.

"If you knew about the ability to overshadow, would you still have come within the circus? Would you still be willing to put your life at risk in the face of an unknown?" I ask all of them, but my eyes stay trained on Father's face.

"They are an unknown because of your lack of information," he says gruffly.

" What did you expect me to say?"

" The truth."

I let out an exasperated sigh, "I never lied to you–"

" But you weren't forthcoming with information either,"  Tim cuts in.

My hands rest on my hips, "Look, everyone has different abilities. Some stuff is standard, like flying, intangibility, and invisibility. Other stuff is subject to the person. Some can do more than others, While some are incapable of doing anything else."

"It still would have been nice to know," Says Dick calmingly, trying to mediate between us.

"Well, it's hard to tell you what to expect when we're not even sure if anything is really happening here." I slip my phone out of my pocket and look at the time. It's about an hour before the show starts, " why don't we split up and look for clues?"

Jason snorts and says, "Alright, gang. So how are we doing this?" 

" It would be unwise for Jason and Danyal to be paired together in case one of them is put under the staff," Says the man-bat.