Metropolis Gala

I look around the room anxiously, watching my siblings and Dad finish preparing for the gala. Gramps and Dad insisted I needed a suit, but I'm not really comfortable with that. There was no way I'd go monkey suit shopping; it's just too revealing. Thankfully, we were able to come to a compromise. I'll wear a stupid suit, but I'm not getting my own. It wasn't a problem; plenty of them were lying around, but ultimately, they decided on an old one of Dami's. It's a dark navy blue, almost black, and the softest thing I've ever worn. I walk over to Dami with cufflinks in hand," Do you mind?"

" Give them," Dami says and starts messing with my sleeve.

Once he's done, I lean in close and whisper, " Can I talk to you for a second," Dami raises an eyebrow, " in private?"

" Is it necessary?" Dami whispers back, causing me to nod, " Very well," Dami huffs and drags me towards the door.

" Woah, little D, baby D, where ya going?" Dick asks.

" Just going to get some air," I say.

Dami rolls his eyes, " Danyal is nervous."

" No, I'm not!" I exclaim.

" You are," Cass says matter of factly, " it's okay to be."

I ignore her and speak to the room, " We'll be back soon," pushing Dami out the door.

" Don't mess up your suits," Tim yells as the door shuts.

We bypass the elevators and start heading up the stairs, with me taking the lead until we reach the roof–which was unlocked– typical Metropolis. I find a semi-clean spot on the floor, plop down, and pat beside me, signaling Dami to join. A grimace passes over Damis' face, but he sits down anyway, " What is this about Danyal?"

"A couple of people who will be there tonight know me from before. From my time with the Fentons."

" Whom?"

" My friend Sam's family, for one. She was there when I had my accident, her and Tucker."

" Are you close?" Dami asks.

" Before the accident, not really, but we got closer after the fact. It was hard not to. They were the only ones who knew back in Amity, though Jazz eventually found out. Having someone who knew about what happened helped somewhat."

" What do you mean by somewhat?"

I snort, " They somehow got it into their heads that the accident made me somekinda meta. I've tried to explain otherwise, but they never really listen. The idea of me being a ghost makes them uncomfortable. They don't really have a positive view of us."

" You continue to be friends with people who think badly of your kind? Danyal, that's..."

" Yeah, I know," I sigh, " but they aren't bad people–"

" Just willingly ignorant."

" They're just used to the ghosts that invaded the town. The only times they've gone into the realms was because they've been kidnapped or some rogue shenanigans. If the anti-ecto acts get revoked–"

" When they get revoked," Dami corrects.

" They'll get to see a different side of us. I'm hoping they'll change their minds."

" If they don't?" Dami asks.

" Then I'll know they weren't really my friends in the first place."

" But why wait? This isn't a healthy relationship. It would be better to distance yourself from them now," Dami says.