Family Rivalry

I leave the kitchen, lunch eaten, and out of excuses not to meet the girls. I check the sitting rooms and look outside, but I don't see anyone, not even Gramps. So I wander the halls until I  hear "Coconut Mall" and loosely veiled threats. The other bat-brats are playing Mario Kart while Gramps watches. Waluigi crosses the finish line first, causing a blonde to yell, " Bow down to your queen!"

Tim throws a pillow at her as the results come up, "Don't get ahead of yourself," they had finished all four races and didn't receive a trophy. I slip over the back of the couch, gaining the attention of the black-haired girl, Cass. Her eyes flicker over to Ahki and then back at me; she smiles but doesn't say anything and looks back at the screen.

"You cheated," cries Jason, pointing a finger at Steph accusingly as his Peach sits in fifth place. "You blue-shelled me!"

"All is fair in love, war, and Mario Kart," Says Steph with a gremlin smile. The others just groan in response. Steph holds on to her remote, as she placed the highest, as Jason, Tim, and Dick look around for someone to pass their controllers to. Dick passes his to Dami, while Jason passes his to Cass.

Tim is still holding on to his and is about to select a character when I ask, "Can I play?" causing the others to turn around to see me. They had been so caught up in the game they hadn't noticed when I entered.

" When did you come up?" Dick asks.

" A bit ago," I shrug, " thanks for bringing me food back. It was good." I look at Tim, asking again, " Is it okay if I play?"

" New brother?" Cass asks though it's more like a statement.

" Danyal or Danny," I say, introducing myself.

Steph gets in my face, studying me before looking at the room at large, " I know you said they're twins, but I didn't expect a mini-baby-bat."

' Mini-Baby-Bat? ' I think, confused, 'Is she calling me short? '

" How astute, Brown," says Ahki sarcastically.

Tim rolls his eyes at Dami and says, "Sure, Danny," handing me the remote.

We play a couple of rounds, but it's kind of boring after a while. I see Dick look at his phone when he says, " I think this is going to be my last game."

"But what about our rematch?" asks Tim, not playing the upcoming round.

" Dami will just have to defend my honor for me," Dick says before ruffling Ahki's hair.

"Honor, what honor, Richard? You don't have any," he says, his arms crossed, having been red-shelled by him a bit ago.

"Couldn't we all play against each other?" I ask, seeing another switch by the TV.

" We only have one Mario Kart," says Cass.

" Yeah, if we had two, we would have all played against each other," says Jason like it was obvious.

"You never know; you could have just wanted to play a tournament style," I say, defending myself.

"Hum," I say, getting up, going towards the TV, " give me a sec. I might have an idea." If they couldn't play on the two consoles, why not go into one ? It's been a while since I've gone into a game. While I wouldn't recommend it for something like Doomed, Mario Kart seems safe enough.

It's not like this game is determined by how many lives you have. You shouldn't even get hurt. It's just racing. I look at the wiring and where it connects to the console and the TV. I do the math in my head, ' seven of them, a bit more than three, but it should be doable .' I turn to face the others, "Instead of playing Mario Kart, would you like to be in it?"