Sixteen

Liam has had a very good week. Ember and Paige have kept him company all throughout school and he just generally feels good. That's how it's been lately.

Yet, now it's Thursday. Now, he has a party to go to with his parents. Now, he's in his room and feels like he's going to puke his guts out while he ties his neck tie with shaky hands.

"William! Hurry up!" His mother screeches on the other side of his door. Her voice has never made his head hurt more.

Liam only got home from school twenty minutes ago. He was smiling when he walked through the door, that's something he rarely does. His mother then had to cut into his happiness by telling him they had an event to go to and he absolutely had to attend it with them. There was no room for objection from him.

He finally gets his tie on right and slips his dress shoes on. He walks over and opens the door to show his mother impatiently waiting on the other side. She's wearing a black skirt and black jacket over a gray dress shirt.

"There you are. Hurry now, your father is already waiting in the car."

Liam walks down the stairs with her. He can already tell the afternoon is going to be hell. He opens the front door for his mother and she doesn't bat an eye at him as she walks out. He follows after her and they both slide into the car.

"How long is the event going to last?" Liam wonders, hoping his mother doesn't find a way to take that offensively and snap at him.

"We'll be home before seven." His father answers with an even voice. Liam closes his eyes and lets out a small breath in relief.

He won't be stuck there all night, that's a good thing at least. However, he'll still have to attend dinner with his parents tonight. Probably. That's not so good.

The car stops in front of a house that's as big as their own. Liam steps out of the car first and waits for his parents to follow. When they do he walks behind them as they enter.

There's people everywhere. They're all dressed up fancy. There's some kids Liam sees, he knows they probably go to school with him too. There's waiters walking around with trays of food and champaign.

Liam's tempted to grab a glass and down it just to see if that will make this go by faster. He doesn't do that though. The last thing he needs is his mother mad at him right now.

"Will, come here boy." His dad smiles and Liam realizes then that he had lagged behind.

He walks up and sees the man his father is talking to. Next to the man is a boy, probably about a year or two younger than Liam. His mother has gone off, disappeared, most likely to find other people.

"This is my son, William." His dad says and Liam's heart squeezes at the pride in his voice. "He's the one that will be taking over the firm. Isn't that correct, Will?"

Liam's throat suddenly feels very dry. His throat has a lump in it. His father's happy eyes are on him as well as this man and his son's eyes.

He can't bare to say no. He can't do that to his father. Not right now, the man seems happy. He sounds proud of him.

"Er- that's the plan." Liam forces a polite smile on with practiced ease. He's had to do this a million times before. Have this conversation with this fake smile, nothing is new to him when it comes to this.

"Well, it's nice to meet you." The man grins and stretches his hand out. "I'm Aaron Banks."

Liam shakes his hand. When the man retracts it, it falls onto the shoulder of the boy next to him. At the new weight on his shoulder the boy smiles.