Twenty-five

"Hey, I know what we can do!" Ian grins, spinning on his heel to look at Liam. "We're almost there too."

Liam doesn't get time to question it. Ian's hand wraps itself gently around his wrist and tugs Liam behind him as he runs across the road. He doesn't let go until they're well past the road and back on the street.

"Where are we going?" Liam asks, his curiosity not allowing him to keep quiet.

"Somewhere." Ian smirks.

"Would it kill you to tell me?" Liam bumps their shoulders together. He's not sure why but he did. It feels natural, being with Ian feels natural.

"It might. I'm too scared to test it." Ian says, his smile wide. Liam likes his smile, it makes him smile too.

"But you're not too scared to climb up a tree and knock on my window in the middle of the night? Makes a lot of sense." Liam muses.

"I know it does, you're so right." Ian grins widely. "Anyways, come on we're nearly there."

"Okay, okay." Liam gives in, following Ian closely.

They reach a open park. There's a playground and then paths through it for people to run or bike on. Liam looks around, wondering if they're going to play on the playground again.

"Over here." Ian walks up to the open grass area and climbs on top of a picnic table. He sits on the table part, his feet resting on the seating area.

Liam walks up and sits next to him. Just as he does, Ian lays down on his back. Liam looks at him blankly for a few seconds, staring at the simple smile on his lips and the gentle look in his eyes.

Liam eventually snaps out of it and lays down too. They both stare up at the sky, laying side by side. Stars scatter the sky and Liam can see them clearly since they're away from the lights. The only light is dim from the nearby street lights but even it isn't all that close.

"Star gazing in a park can now be added to the list of new things you've done." Ian speaks. Liam glances over and sees a little smirk.

Liam smiles and looks back up at the sky. "Yeah. Thank you."

"No need to thank me. I've always wanted to do this but never had anyone to do it with. It's a win win situation."

Liam doesn't know how to reply to that so he doesn't. He smiles as he looks up at the sky. At the way the darkness combines with the little blips of light. Its beautiful.

"You like watching stars?" Ian's voice is quiet, barely above a whisper.

"Yeah." Liam doesn't take his eyes off the sky as he answers. "The sky at night is really pretty."

Ian hums in agreement. "I think everything looks really pretty at night."

Liam moves his head to look at him, only to find he's already looking back. They both smile softly at each other. Ian's eyes are the same as before, so dark that the pupils and irises mix. Within the darkness, the lights of the stars are reflected.

Liam looks back up at the sky before mumbling out a quiet agreement. "Yeah, everything looks pretty at night."

They're silent for a long time. The air between them is soft and comfortable. Liam likes being out here. He likes doing things with Ian. 

The night air is fresh, it feels good to breath it in. His stomach isn't pooling with disgust. There's no permanent, unmoving lump in his throat. His shoulders are perfectly lax. He's comfortable.

Liam doesn't know how long they lay there. He doesn't care much either. At some point though, the peace must be disturbed.

Ian sits up and stretches his arms above his head. His back arches and a soft groan escapes him. He looks back at Liam with a steady smile. "I'm afraid if we lay here too long our backs might get sore. We should probably head back. No point laying out here all night to not get any sleep."