Thirty-nine

Liam's parents haven't said anything. It's been two days without word from either of them. His dad has been gone, working with a newer lawyer on a case most of the time, while his mother just doesn't speak to him. She glares and tries to stay home Thursday afternoon to make sure Liam doesn't go anywhere. At dinner they don't speak.

Paige and Ember both apologize a lot when they hear about it. Liam doesn't care that much though. There's a little pain there but for the most part, he's okay with it. He doesn't need their acceptance.

He calls Mandy Thursday night and fills her in on everything. She cringes when she hears about Sara and then tries to reassure Liam that she accepts him. He feels okay with that, at least he has a sense of family with one person.

He assumes Friday is going to be the same. He left to school without a word to anyone. The day was quiet, Ember asking the first stupid question since she found out about what happened. It felt good that things were slowly reverting back to normal with them, they weren't talking about how it was wrong of his parents anymore.

When he steps in the doorway Friday, he plans on going to his room. Ian's coming over tonight, even though he won't be at his mom's. They both just agreed they wanted to see each other so he's staying the night.

"Will." His father's voice speaks after he steps up the third stair. He turns to look and the man is coming out of the living room. "Stay down a moment, I would like to speak to you."

Slowly, hesitantly, Liam steps down. He stands in the foyer and waits, his fingers hooked into the straps of his backpack. His father stands a few feet in front of him.

The man doesn't look mad. That's a good sign at least. Liam hasn't seen much of his dad lately so he wasn't sure if he was taking it the same way as his mother, glaring all the time.

"I just- I need you to know..." His father stutters a little, seeming to be searching for words. Liam stays quiet, waiting. Finally, he gets out. "I am not upset with you."

Liam wasn't expecting that. His hands fall to his sides. He isn't sure what to say, but his father seems to have more he wants to get out so Liam doesn't say anything.

"I... don't quite understand, this isn't something I'm used to, but I'll try to." He nods a little. "I don't think that it's er... wrong. I just want you to know that."

"Oh." Liam says, not being able to think of anything else. His father nods.

"Well, that's all I needed to say."

"Okay." Liam nods too. Then, without another word to each other they go their separate ways. His father walks back in the living room, probably going to his office, and Liam heads to his room.

It's strange but Liam feels a bit better. He walks up the stairs with an extra energy in his steps. He didn't care if his parents didn't support him, he expected that, yet he still feels good knowing one of them does.

His father isn't a bad man. He smiles because he's always known that. As a child he might have thought he was scary, but never bad.

The next six hours of his life feel as if they go in slow motion. He watches the clock intently, closely, waiting for it to be nine. He feels like he's going to explode with impatience when he finally hears Ian slipping through the window, he left it open while waiting.

"Hey baby." Ian closes the window behind him, slips off his shoes, and approaches the bed. He's wearing red shorts and a plain white T-shirt. Liam stands up to hug him. Ian chuckles while wrapping his arms around Liam's waist.

They only pull back enough to share a sweet kiss. After that, they fully release each other. Ian sits on the bed first and Liam follows after him.

They cuddle up in the bed, Liam fitting perfectly into Ian's side. Ian brushes his hand through Liam's hair and Liam traces shapes on Ian's chest. It all feels okay.