Twenty-one

Monday went by easier than Liam thought it would. Ian had went home Sunday to his dad's so he didn't sleep over the night before. Liam still felt good from Saturday night though.

"Li, do you wanna come with Paige and me after school?" Ember smiles over at him from across the lunch table.

"Where are we going?" Liam raises his brows. He's already okay with going. Paige and Ember smile.

"We're gonna study." Paige says. "Ember's a little too close to failing and I could always use the extra bit."

"Oh." Liam nods. "Okay, I'll go."

"Yay." Ember grins. "I cam ask Paige my school related questions and you my important ones."

Liam picks up a fry off his tray and pops it in his mouth. Since Ember has started making him eat lunch he's actually started being hungry during this time of day. Today he's eating a grilled chicken sandwich with French fries on the side. They don't have a lot of salt and he's learned they're better that way, but they're still okay.

"What are the important ones?" Liam furrows his eyebrows.

"Questions like.. how do plane's have wifi?" Ember quarks his head to the side. "Like, seriously, how is that even possible? Don't they have to use an internet provider? Don't those usually only tend to be around one area? How can they have wifi and fly all over the damn world? I do not understand, seriously."

Liam rolls his eyes. He doesn't know why she always expects him to know the answers to her questions. Why can't she just ask google?

"Oh, also, is the north pole real? Do you think there's penguins there? What about the south pole too? Oh and have you ever heard of puffins? They're like flying penguins, isn't that crazy? Do you believe in walruses? I have my doubts about them being real. I've never seen a walrus. I used to not believe in seals either but then I went to a zoo and I saw some. They're like barking fish, it's crazy."

She continues to babble and Liam ignores her. He's smiling though. He feels really good, he really does.

"Are you listening?" Ember cuts in.

"Nope." Liam grins, big and genuine. His stomach doesn't hurt. His shoulders aren't tense.

Ember pauses with her mouth open like she was about to say something. She shuts it and ends up smiling big as well. Paige is looking at them fondly.

The lunch bell rings and they all stand to leave. Ember playfully bumps shoulders with Liam on her way to the trashcan with her tray. Liam's grinning still.

"Don't forget about studying with us later. We can even help you with your law and business class if you bring notes." Paige says as they dump their food and then sit their trays on top of the trashcan.

"Okay." Liam nods. They all walk into the hallway and split up to go to their own lockers.

The smile doesn't stay on Liam's face all day but he feels good enough to make up for it. His breathing keeps steady and his stomach doesn't lurch. He pays attention in classes and takes detailed notes. Just because he feels good doesn't mean he's forgotten his goal of getting his grades back up.

Last hour with Ember is fun. On occasion she'll kick him for no reason and then grin. Liam ends up giving her all the answers for the worksheet because she kept asking for them every other question.

When the bell rings they all rise from their desks. Ember picks up all her stuff and spins around to look at Liam. "You're driving us to a diner or something, just so you know. I don't wanna study in the library."

Liam nods and they both walk out of the classroom together. They split up once in the hallway and Liam goes up to his locker. He puts his laptop and four of his notebooks in his bag.