Thirty-eight

"Finals are coming up, all I'm saying I'd that maybe you should be taking this a little more serious." Paige says to Ember as the three walk to lunch.

"Nonsense." Ember waves her off. "I'll be fine."

"You need to actually start paying attention in class and studying." Paige deadpans. Ember gives her a confused look.

"Paige, babes, no." Ember shakes her head. "Besides, I've already gotten it all figured out. If I were to get a zero, my grade were drop a letter. So with my B's and C's, I'd still pass. As long as I study some like the week of, I'll be fine."

"You know if you put as much effort into studying as you do to avoid it, you'd probably have really good grades." Liam speaks. Ember looks at him with a small smile.

"Such a shame." She says with a shrug. "Oh well."

Paige rolls her eyes. They make it to the cafeteria and pick up trays. Falling into line, they start to pick out foods they want.

"You frustrate me beyond belief." Paige mumbles.

"I know I'm hot Paige, but calm down." Ember winks and then starts laughing.

Paige sighs. They make their way over to a table and sit down. Taking a bite out of a cheese stick, Paige looks over at Liam.

"How are you?" She asks softly.

Liam shrugs. He feels himself smile as he amswers. "I've been pretty good lately."

Paige smiles. "That's good. How are you and Ian working out? I know it's official now, that's great."

"Yeah, it is." Liam nods. "I'm happy."

He's thought it so many times. It's constantly been at the back of his mind. Yet, saying it out loud makes it more real. He's happy, he really is.

He never realized how unhappy he was until recently. Maybe all that mental health stuff Paige used to talk to him about was real. He always used to think she was overexaggerating but maybe she was right.

"That's really, really good, Li." She grins.

"I hate it when you two do these little therapy session things where you pretend I'm not here." Ember suddenly speaks up. She looks between the two and takes another bite of her food. "You haven't had one in awhile, I thought I was scotch free. I guess not though."

She sighs dramatically. Paige rolls her eyes but a fond smile is on her face. Liam's expression is also a fond one.

"It's fine though. Go and be cheesy." She says simply. "I'll just sit here wondering if there's a reason plants are green, all by myself."

Liam rolls his eyes this time around. Paige just simply shakes her head. Ember takes a drink out of her water bottle innocently.

"They're green because of the process of-" Paige begins to answer but is immediately cut off.

"Paige. This is one of those things you question, not something you give me a detailed scientific answer over." Ember shakes her head.

"You're weird. We can finally answer one of your questions and you don't want it?" Liam looks over at her like she's lost her mind. Ember just gives him an easy smile.

"If she answers my question, what will keep me awake at night?"

"Your horrible grades?" Liam jokes. Ember's mouth falls open for a second before she burst out laughing. Even Paige let out a few quiet giggles.

"No, Liam. Those have never bothered me." Ember states like it's something to be proud of, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Oh of course not." Liam shakes his head.