Missed Birthdays

Ship: None

Type: Fluff | Slight Angst | Brothers

Requested by: Me

Plot: Devin never thought about celebrating his birthday, especially when he was caged in his mind for seven years, he never had time to celebrate it. He thought it would be different after being freed from Eden's hold. But within the year of being separated from the manifested ambition of his, he found himself alone again; On his birthday. Or so he thought.

A/n: I discovered yesterday that today is FTO Devin/Eden's birthday! So I decided to make a one-shot in honor of it. Also, this takes place before Devin joined Divinus Magia and he spent the year after being separated from Eden.

----------------------------------------------

3rd POV:

Birthdays are meant to be something you cherish with your life, a symbol of the start of your life and its progress. It was something Devin had missed for several years.

Usually, when Devin was still a member of Grimshade, he would've spent his birthday with Michael on the same day as his - that was decided since they were dropped off the same day. They would've run around the guildhall, playing hide and seek, hanging out in their shared rooms, giggling about gods-know-what, and even sneaking out to the city after practice. He did everything with Michael.

But he had to go screw that up.

The one mistake that cost him seven years of his life, years he could never get back. The birthdays he had missed. All because he was petty over something he couldn't have.

Devin played with a leaf, spinning it between his fingers. His eyes stared at the leaf as if examining its features and how perfect but imperfect it looked simultaneously. It was very similar to him.

Devin sat by an extinguished campfire. A red tent was set up across from it, a product of Devin's magic. He was surrounded by the soft rustle of leaves and the occasional hoot of an owl. The camp he had set up was simple yet functional—the small tent pitched nearby, a few provisions scattered about, but despite the tranquility of his surroundings, Devin's mind was anything but calm.

As Devin continued to stare at the leaf, he gazed upon its imperfections and it reminded him of himself; How his ragged edges weren't shaped how they were supposed to be, and the surface to him was too rough and it wasn't smooth and... perfect.

His face grimaced at the leaf as he threw the leaf to the side angrily only to have the leaf slowly descend to the ground as if to tease him. This only enraged Devin more as he let out a frustrated groan and buried his face in his hands. Memories of his past haunted him, creeping through the labyrinth of his thoughts like ghosts refusing to fade. He remembered the moments when he let his emotions overpower reason when ambition had consumed him like a ravenous flame. During those times he had lost himself, surrendering to the allure of power and prestige.

But what tormented him most was the manifestation of his ambitions into something more tangible—a personification of his desires, lurking in the depths of his soul like a shadowy specter. Eden, his most regretful creation - if he could even call him that. Eden wasn't intentional but simultaneously it was still his fault. Everything was his fault.

The destruction and deaths of countless innocent people were his fault and he knew it. He could feel tears build in his eyes as he remembered the cage; The cold steel cage he was trapped in for several years. The only thing he could see for miles was the vast white of his conscience.

He wished he could turn back time, undo the mistakes of his past, and spare those he had wronged from the pain he had inflicted upon them. He closed his eyes, trying to shut out the haunting images that plagued his mind—the faces of those he had hurt, the lives he had shattered in his pursuit of power. But try as he might, he couldn't escape the relentless onslaught of guilt that threatened to consume him whole.