Aincrad Pt. 4: Firelink Shrine

It had been three months since the dissolution of my and Kirito's party. I wandered around each floor as it opened, ignoring the assault team's efforts to try and get me to return to the front lines.

For all intents and purposes, I was a nomad wandering from place to place. Each time a new floor opened up, I headed there immediately and searched for the best farming spots. With each farming session, I grew stronger. With each mini-boss I fought, I got smarter. With each passing day, I soon came to realize that this world was my future.

That was why I had given up any hope of ever leaving. Fighting for a goal that only grew more dangerous as time passed on was foolish to me. Survival was more important than escaping and I seemed to be the only one that understood that.

My travels had brought me to Floor 40 where I found a hidden cave. With a torch in my hand and my greatsword in the other, I walked through the cave. The only sounds were the clanking of my armor and the quiet roar of the torch.

As I walked, I began to notice something. Every cave I had found before was filled with enemies waiting to ambush me around every corner, except this one. As I turned down the corridor, I was half expecting a skeleton with a rusted falchion to jump out at me. I'd been seeing a lot of those lately and I didn't know why. I suspected it was because of the extra content that Kayaba added, but I wasn't sure.

*There better be some sort of loot at the end of this cave.* I thought

Suddenly, as if my thoughts had been read, I turned another corner and saw light spilling out of it. I hurried toward the light as fast as I could without tripping. When I did, I was blown away. Off in the distance was a perfect replica of Firelink Shrine.

 Off in the distance was a perfect replica of Firelink Shrine

"Holy shit. Is this what Kayaba was talking about?!" I exclaimed

If Firelink was here, then that also meant Iudex Gundyr should've been as well. Sure enough, when I looked down and to the left, I saw the kneeling silver figure of Firelink's once-proud guardian.

 Sure enough, when I looked down and to the left, I saw the kneeling silver figure of Firelink's once-proud guardian

*I hope no one else has found this yet. This is a huge discovery and if the wrong person found it, they'd abuse it as a base in the middle of Floor 40.* I thought