Aincrad Pt. 16: Archdragon Peak & Ancient Wyvern

After the duel with Heathcliff, I became more cautious than ever before. I was all but certain that he was Kayaba. All the signs pointed to it and as a result, I did whatever I could to ensure that he wouldn't get the jump on me.

By now it had been a few days since we fought. Progress on the quest had been halted since the next step was Archdragon Peak. The problem wasn't the difficulty, it was getting there. While I had the means to get there, not everyone did. There were some parameters that couldn't be bypassed with a group and as the sole person able to get there, I had to do it alone. I couldn't transport hundreds of people to a place where one wrong move would either kill you or leave you stranded.

No one else would be able to travel there until I beat the Ancient Wyvern. So I set out to Irithyll dungeon and made my way to the dragon statue outside. Once there, I sat on the tattered cloth next to it and waited.

Not long after, I was teleported to the first area of Archdragon Peak. I didn't bother with the serpent men chucking arrows and fireballs at me. I just ran past them all and made my way to the large iron gate that blocked me from accessing the Ancient Wyvern.

I grabbed the massive lever and pulled until the gate opened. Walking through, I heard a loud roar before the Ancient Wyvern landed in front of me. I ran underneath its legs as fast as I could before sprinting toward the building right as it let loose with its fire breathing.

Just like always, I beat the dragon without taking a single hit. This was the one boss in the game that didn't make sense to me. Once I killed it, I was teleported to the Dragon Cathedral. Once I arrived, I wasted no time in heading straight for the Great Belfry bonfire.

(3rd pov)

While U/n was off clearing Archdragon Peak, Kirito, Asuna, and Koharu were doing a quest of their own. Koharu had sought their help for something important, U/n's birthday. When they were first approached, Asuna thought Koharu was joking but soon realized that she was serious.

After explaining what she wanted to do, the couple readily agreed to help her out. Kirito was sent off to buy a gift while the girls began cooking.

Asuna: So what kind of food does he like?

Koharu: Well, he said before that he really enjoys pizza, but I don't know how to make that here.

Asuna: Neither do I, but we'll figure something out. 

Meanwhile, Kirito was wracking his brain for gift ideas. He had no idea what U/n would want. Eventually, though, he came up with something. He remembered that U/n had said he enjoyed playing the Devil May Cry games, and there was a weapon in the 5th game that he wished was in SAO.

With his gift idea in mind, Kirito commenced his journey. He headed to the Floor 48 town of Lindarth, which was the home of the blacksmith Lisbeth. Asuna had recommended the smith to Kirito and that was how he got his second sword, Dark Repulser. If anyone was capable of creating what he wanted, it was Lisbeth. 

(U/n pov)

Archdragon Peak wasn't a hard area, but it was definitely annoying. I'd almost been knocked off the cliffs several times because of the army of serpent men prowling around. I steered clear of Havel because I didn't feel like getting my face smashed in by a knight wearing armor carved from stone who wielded a dragon tooth as a weapon.

Once I reached the second bonfire, I lit it and warped out. It had been a while since I was at Firelink, so I went there instead of heading back home. The dim light and warmth were a welcome sight after spending so much time away from it. I'd reached max level a while ago, so there was no need to really come back other than to buy items.

The Fire Keeper was just as friendly as I remembered, though she seemed to realize that I'd been gone for a long time if her response was anything to go by.

Fire Keeper: Ashen One, it's been so very long since I last felt your presence.

"I've been very busy lately. Only one lord remains now" I said

Fire Keeper: Oh, how wonderful to hear. Soon, the lords shall be laid to rest.

"Hard to believe it's been almost two years since I first received this mission," I said

Fire Keeper: Out of the many Unkindled that hath passed through here, you are the only one to have gotten this far. I feel that everything will change once you ascend to the throne as lord.

"Oddly enough, so do I," I said

Fire Keeper: May the flame guide you on your journey, Ashen One.

She bowed to me like usual. I suddenly remembered something. Back when Koharu had helped me kill Champion Gundyr, we'd retrieved the <Coiled Sword Fragment> from the lifeless Firelink, but that wasn't the only thing we'd come out with. Hidden behind an illusory wall was a pair of firekeeper eyes. If I chose to give them to her, I could usher in the Age of Darkness, letting the flame die out. I'd also finished Anri and Yoel's questline a while back, so I could become the Lord of Hollows as well.

Ultimately, I decided to give the eyes to the Fire Keeper, so I scrolled through my inventory until I found them. I handed the eyes to the Fire Keeper and she seemed shaken by it.

Fire Keeper: Ashen One, are these...are these eyes? How gracious of thee. The very things we Fire Keepers have been missing. My thanks for the eyes thou'st given. But Fire Keepers are not meant to have eyes. It is forbidden. These will reveal, through a sliver of light, frightful images of betrayal. A world without fire. Ashen One, is this truly thy wish?

"Yes. I refuse to be a slave to the cycle of linking the flame only to die when it begins to fade again. Therefore, I wish to usher in an age of darkness" I said

Fire Keeper: Of course. I serve thee and will do as thou bid'st. This will be our private affair. No one else may know of this. Stay thy path, find lords to link the fire, and I will tend to the flame. Until the day of thy grand betrayal.

"Your loyalty is appreciated. I will not forget you once I become the Lord of Darkness" I said

Fire Keeper: I shall stay by thine side, as a loyal servant, for my purpose is to serve the ash.

She then knelt in front of me, not daring to look upon my face. Had this been any other situation, I would've chosen the Lord of Hollows ending, but I had a feeling that choosing to let the flame die out would bring an end to Aincrad. I couldn't explain why, but I was certain it was possible.

With my giving of the firekeeper eyes, my business at Firelink was concluded. I would not return until the last lord, Prince Lothric, was killed. Turning away from the Fire Keeper, I approached the bonfire and warped out.