Aincrad Pt. 20: Laughing Coffin

(One week later)

Asuna and Kirito were successful in convincing Heathcliff to prepare a raid to take down Laughing Coffin once and for all. Through some more convincing, he also sent out a public notice asking anyone willing to join the raid to assemble at Grandzam. I wasn't expecting much to come from that, but I was shocked beyond belief when I saw the turnout. Altogether, the raid numbered some 2500 people.

(A/n: Remember the scene in Rise of Skywalker where Lando appeared with a fuck ton of ships? Picture that but with people.)

Heathcliff: The goal is a straight forward one. We go in and silence Laughing Coffin for good. Capture is preferred but kill if you must. We all know the risks posed by this action, so if any of you want to back out, now is the time.

No one moved which meant they were all in it to win it. Heathcliff smiled as he straightened up.

Heathcliff: Then let us prepare. Those of you not part of my guild may help yourselves to our supplies. We will reconvene here in one hour.

Everyone dispersed to stock up on supplies. I went for a walk around the building while Kirito stayed behind with the guild leadership. I eventually came to the center courtyard and went to sit on one of the benches around the large fountain in the middle.

???: Mind if I sit?

I looked up and saw Koharu standing in front of me. I hadn't seen nor spoken to her since we broke up. I wanted to wait to smooth things over between us until after the raid.

"Sure, go ahead," I said

She sat down next to me but didn't close the distance. I didn't blame her for not wanting to, I wouldn't either.

Koharu: So...how have you been lately?

"Not great," I said

Koharu: What happened?

"I'm just overwhelmed. I thought I could take on the world and that led to me growing arrogant and self-centered" I said

Koharu: That's why I and everyone else tried to tell you not to shoulder everything by yourself.

"I know. I should have listened" I said

Koharu: But it hardly matters now. I heard you were the one that proposed this idea. I don't know whether to think you're insane or not.

"Realistically, I probably am," I said

Koharu: Isn't that the truth.

I glanced over at her face. She was still just as beautiful as always and I cursed myself every day for hurting her. If she didn't want to repair things after I apologized, then I would accept it.

Koharu: It's crazy you know.

"What is?" I asked

Koharu: This raid. Laughing Coffin has been terrorizing us for years and now we're finally going to take them off the board.

"Better late than never," I said

Koharu: Very true. It was nice talking with you again, U/n.

"Yeah, same," I said

Koharu: Well, Im going to see what I can do to help.

"Okay," I said

She got up from the bench and walked back inside. I watched everyone bustle back and forth as they prepared for the fight ahead.

(Laughing Coffin base, 3rd pov)

PoH watched as his men prepared themselves for the coming battle. XaXa sharpened his estoc while Johnny made sure his daggers were coated with the deadliest poisons he could find. The rest of the troops prepared as well, glancing at their leader now and again. Upon finishing their tasks, XaXa and Johnny approached PoH.