5

Five || Unfortunate Events

Two days after the wedding ceremony, Robert decided it was the perfect time to head back to King's landing. After all, this was a successful trip for the king; he'd secured a new Hand, and he succeeded in an alliance with the Starks by making Morganna happy.

Morganna once again requested to ride alongside her father, and the king was eager to give in to her request. Her own horse was saddled and prepared for the journey to the capital while the carriages were prepared for the Stark girls and the royal family. Robb was to ride with his wife and father, followed closely by Morganna's guard Addam and his brothers.

Morganna had invited the direwolves belonging to the Stark children to join them in King's Landing, which earned enthusiasm from the animals and their owners. She'd been thrilled to spend time with the creatures, loving their individual personalities that perfectly complimented their owners.

As Morganna stepped into the courtyard of Winterfell for the last time, she was instantly wrapped in the arms of the youngest Stark boys. Bran and Rickon clung to their sister by law's skirts, holding back tears as she approached her riding party. Robb, Addam, Jon, Theon, and Robert Baratheon watched in mild amusement as Morganna ran her hands through the hair of the Stark boys.

"My little pups." She cooed, stopping beside her husband before she crouched down to their height. "I will see you soon, I promise. You have to grow up just a tad bit more before you can join me in the capital to become knights."

"But, we're going to miss you." Bran sniffled, wrapping his arms around her neck. Rickon followed suit, hiding his face in Morganna's neck.

"You can't just leave." Rickon's muffled voice sounded.

"I will try to visit again soon." Morganna promised. "But, you must remain here to take care of your mother. Promise me that you will take good care of your mother, and I will promise you that I will be back."

"We promise!" Bran said excitedly.

"We're going to take care of our mother, Morganna." Rickon beamed. The boys detached themselves from the princess before chasing one another back into the castle.

"Are you ready to go, princess?" Addam asked, reaching down and helping Morganna back to her feet.

"I am." She nodded. "I cannot wait to be in warmer weather. The snow is fun, but I'd much prefer the ocean breeze to this frigid air."

"You've fared a great deal better than your mother." Robert chucked. "She walks the halls wrapped in a blanket."

Ned Stark approached the group, stopping beside Robert before whispering into his ear. Robert nodded and cleared his throat, grabbing the reins of Morganna's horse.

"Time to go, darling." Robert told Morganna, holding her horse steady as Morganna climbed into her saddle. Robert handed the reins up to his daughter before turning to mount his own horse. Robb quickly mounted his horse, taking his spot beside Morganna as she rode ahead. She stopped beside the carriage carrying his sisters, and she smiled down at the girls.

"Should you need anything during our journey, don't hesitate to ask." Morganna advised the girls. "Even if you just want to take a walk."

"Thank you, princess." Sansa bowed her head.

"We're sisters now, Sansa." Morganna smiled warmly. "You may call me Morganna."

====

The ride down to King's Landing had been uneventful for the first week. With three more weeks left on the journey, it was no wonder some of the members of the traveling party were beginning to get antsy.