7

Seven || Another Fitting

"Again!" Ser Barristan shouted across the training grounds, prompting the newest recruits for the royal guard to pick themselves up from the muddy ground. As Ser Barristan scanned the grounds, he caught sight of the princess, her husband, and her guard. He knelt down on one knee, lowering his head as Morganna approached the knight.

"Oh, please, Ser Barristan, you don't have to kneel." Morganna smiled at the older knight. She waited until he was standing before she spoke again. "I've just come to inquire about the progress of my newest recruits."

"Jon Snow and Theon Greyjoy are far beyond any of these other helpless cases, my princess." Ser Barristan nodded to the young princess, leading her and her betrothed to where he set the Stark wards to work. "They'll be ready for assignment after your wedding, most likely. Have you put any thought toward where they will end up?"

"How would you feel about your brothers being your personal guards, my wolf?" Morganna asked Robb, watching with a smile as he perked up at the idea.

"Truly?" Robb questioned.

"Well, we can't leave the future king unprotected." Morganna teased.

"They'll do well as future King's guards." Ser Barristan nodded, agreeing with the princess's decision.

"Addam is also searching for someone." Morganna told Ser Barristan. "He wishes to even out our guards."

"I'll pull some recruits for you." Ser Barristan told Addam, earning a nod from the guard. "Snow, Greyjoy. The princess is here to see you."

"Princess!" Theon perked up, bowing his head the moment he was standing upright. Jon followed suit, brushing the mud from his pants as he bowed his head.

"At ease." Morganna poked fun at the boys. "I've just come to see how you're faring. Robb only tagged along to escape the wedding planners."

"They're relentless, my love." Robb sighed softly, earning an amused giggle from the princess.

"I know, my wolf." Morganna smiled, turning her attention back to Theon and Jon. "How are you both? Honestly."

"It's quite easy, to be honest." Jon told the princess with a slight smirk. "If these are the men that are to protect you and my brother, I'm afraid they're a bit underqualified."

"Well, it's a good thing that we'll have you at our sides to protect us then." Morganna announced, sharing a smile with Robb. Theon's eyes widened as Jon processed what his princess just told them.

"You mean to say..." Jon trailed off, looking down at the princess.

"King's guard!" Theon beamed. "You want us on the King's guard?"

"Of course." Morganna nodded firmly. "Who better to protect my beloved than his own brothers?"

Jon and Theon shared a look of pride before they embraced one another. In the short time they'd been there, their future had been unclear. With Morganna's decision to give them jobs, their futures became much clearer.

"However, like Addam, you will have a bit more privilege than the other knights." Morganna added, drawing the attention of the Stark wards. "You'll be able to marry and have children, you will be able to hold lands, and you will be able to retire from your post whenever you deem fit. Unlike the soldiers who swear their lives to the crown, I wish for my guards to swear their lives to me."

Addam straightened up as the Stark men looked back at him suspiciously.

"Addam arrived in court a bit after I turned eight years old." Morganna told the Stark men. "I remember seeing a tall figure, being told by my septa that he was a distant cousin from back home. I remember introducing myself to him, and I remember the moment I knew Addam would trade his life for mine."