13

Thirteen || Targaryen

Danaerys Targaryen landed her dragon in the remains of the dragon pit in the Red Keep, where Joffrey Lannister greeted her. Both were young, only five and ten, which is why Morganna arranged for Joffrey to bring the young queen to the castle.

"Your grace." Joffrey greeted politely, watching closely as the young queen dismounted from the large dragon. Overhead, two other dragons circled what was left of the dragon pit. "I've been sent to escort you to the castle."

Danaerys nodded, adjusting her skirts before she stepped toward the armored Lannister. Two Unsullied soldiers appeared from behind Danaerys, and Joffrey waited for them to get to the young queen before he turned on his heel. Joffrey led the queen and the two guards up to the castle slowly, allowing for the trio to take in the beauty of the Red Keep.

Danaerys was surprised to see that even the poorest in the city were clothed and fed, as none of them begged for gold as they passed by. She was even more surprised when she spotted the queen of the Seven Kingdoms standing at the gate leading to the castle, handing out loaves of freshly baked bread to the low-borns.

"Right this way." Joffrey said, leading Danaerys past Morganna and into the castle. He led the young queen to the throne room, where many Lords and Ladies had gathered at the request of their queen. "Her grace will be with you in a moment."

Joffrey took his post beside one of the large columns, watching as Danaerys took in the beauty of the castle. He watched closely as she focused her attention to the iron throne, finding her interest amusing.

"Apologies." A strong voice sounded as the doors behind Danaerys was pushed open. "I lost track of the time."

The Lords and Ladies said nothing as Morganna walked through the throne room and up to her throne, her husband Robb hot on her tail. The pair took their respective seats, and Morganna's eyes landed on the young dragon queen.

"Welcome, Danaerys Targaryen." Morganna smiled warmly at the dragon queen and her two Unsullied soldiers. "I hope the trip over was smooth."

"It was, your grace." Danaerys bowed her head.

"My Lords and Ladies." Morganna then addressed her court. "We are here to bear witness to Danaerys Targaryen's return to the Seven Kingdoms. You are most welcome here, princess."

Danaerys did not correct Morganna, silently enjoying the demotion. After all, she was only ten and five, and being queen was not something she truly wanted; it was her brother who craved the power.

"Thank you for welcoming me into your home." Danaerys bowed her head again.

"You must be exhausted from the flight over." Morganna said, her eyes alight with curiosity. "Joffrey, please escort Princess Danaerys to her chambers so that she may catch up on sleep."

Joffrey bowed his head in his sister's direction, stepping closer to Danaerys before turning and leading her out of the throne room.

"Forgive me, your grace, but why have you brought the Targaryen scum back to the Seven Kingdoms?" One of the lords scoffed, narrowing his eyes at the young Targaryen girl as she passed him.

"This is her home, Lord Crane." Morganna's sweet voice was long gone, replacing the sweetness with a stern tone. "And she is more than welcome to make her return if she so pleases. If that is an issue with you, or with anyone in my court, you are more than welcome to return to your homes instead of residing in my castle."

Lord Crane dropped his head, his cheeks burning red as his queen tore into him. He nodded his head, keeping his gaze down at his boots.

"Apologies, your grace." Lord Crane apologized, sounding embarrassed. Morganna nodded her head, turning to face her husband as Joffrey and Danaerys left the throne room.