•NINETEEN•

7 Months Later

7 Months Later

7 months had gone by.

And life?

Life is was...good.

As good as it would get without him by my side.

Merle found every excuse to be out looking for his brother any chance he could without letting the Governor know what he was up to.

Things for me had turned out okay here.

The Governor seemed to be a good man overall. He had really created something good here in Woodbury, I could commend him for it. But every time I saw the happiness of the people who lived here, I wished that my group had ended up here to. They deserved to live life like it was normal, to find peace and sanctuary. Maybe they had somewhere else.

Or maybe they were dead.  I tried not to think about that possibility.

Once I had healed up and recovered from my injury, the Governor had given me my very own apartment to stay in and make my own. He assigned me to medical because of my degree and I was happy working in the infirmary and not on the front lines. Sometimes I would guard the wall to keep up my practice and skill, but let's be honest. There wasn't much skill there in the first place.

There was often cook outs and party nights here, times to be social and make friends. I had made quite a few new friends, but nothing like the group. Nothing could ever replace the whole in my chest from missing them or wishing I had them close.

I drew lots of male attention to, specifically that of Martinez.

No one could deny that Martinez was a very attractive man. Big muscles, a killer smile, dark eyes that matched my own and he had a good reputation for being one of the biggest badasses here.

But still.

He wasn't Daryl.

I could never drown in his eyes like I did Daryl's. I could never crave his affection or even desire it because it wasn't Daryl. Even though Martinez was a good man, he would never replace Daryl. He would never be that.

He could never have my love.

No one could.

And even if I wanted to accept his offer of dates and attention, I couldn't. Merle was always keeping an on me and shooing off any man who made advances at me, claiming I was still his baby brothers girl. Which was correct.