Amiable Colleagues

MAHEEN

Another Monday, another day of work. My desk neighbor Greg was taking aggressively loud sighs after every sip of his smoothie. "It's a smoothie Greg, not cocaine. Chill out," I hiss.

He hmphs but doesn't respond further. I was almost done my report for the surveillance trip from two weeks ago. I would have to submit this to Naina for review before I got moved onto further training.

I had one last part left to finish- the summary of events.

I stopped typing, sitting back in my seat as the memories flashed through my mind. Not something to include in the report of course but something I couldn't stop thinking about.

The way Hasan stood so close to me as the suspect walked by, his arm leaning on the wall, our chests close enough that he could probably hear my racing heartbeat. The way his bicep flexed made me want to know how it would feel with his arms tightly wound around me...

Something tightens at the bottom of my stomach and I shift uncomfortably in my chair. I knew what I was feeling was not appropriate but I couldn't help it. I can only pray God lets me have this forgiven as a 26-year-old hormonal problem. I never felt this way when I spoke with Saif, or with anyone else ever.

It was suddenly very hot in here.

I got up, deciding there was no point in delaying lunch any more. The hunger was probably the reason I was feeling these things. Yes, let's go with that.

I grabbed my bag and headed towards the lunch room. Most people had lunch in the cafes and cafeteria downstairs, so the 12th floor lunch room was often quiet or completely empty during non-lunch hours. I could catch up on my tv shows.

I sauntered in, scrolling through my Netflix but stopped dead in my tracks when I realized who just looked up from a table in the corner of the almost empty room.

He didn't do anything except stare. I could just ignore him and continue on with my lunch but unfortunately I just can't not acknowledge him. I spent the walk over to his table yelling at myself in my head.

"Hi," I give him a small smile.

"Hi."

"Can I sit?" I ask but I'm sure even he can hear in my voice how much I don't actually want to.

He nods, lowering his laptop screen. "Late lunch?" he asks, looking at the time on his watch.

"Yeah, I was finishing up a report," I take out my lunch box. "What about you?"

"My floor was too loud. I needed some quiet."

"And now I'm here," I realize.

"No it's fine, I'm basically done," he says quickly before I can get up to leave him alone to work.

I hesitate for a second but his face is reassuring. I open up my lunch box then. "What'd you have for lunch today?" I ask absentmindedly as I open up my first container.

He doesn't answer.

"So you're just going to sit here hungry?"

"Are you concerned for me Maheen?" he leans back in his chair, watching me with a taunting expression.

"No. I just can't be mean to you if you're weak and frail. I don't punch down," I sniff, moving my lunchbox towards him. "Have a kabab."

"No it's okay, I'll get something later," he says unconvincingly. I know he can smell the food now and it's getting to him.

"What later? It's almost dinner time," I joke lamely. "Tunday kabab. Lucknow's famous," I encourage, pushing the container even closer to him.

He takes it slowly and I can't help but watch as he takes a bite. I don't why but I'm waiting with bated breath to see his reaction.