Proposition

MAHEEN

Friday was just another day of me settling in with the team. I would officially get put to work starting Monday. Hasan told me he had something planned for both Saturday and Sunday but he didn't say what. Apparently most of the team members dispersed over the weekend when there wasn't work that they needed to be here for. Some took their work phones with them and hit the clubs in Downtown Dubai. Others took weekend trips to cities nearby.

At one point, I heard Patrick ask Hasan if he wanted to grab a bite on the weekend but Hasan lied, saying he was going out with a cousin visiting Dubai.

What a proficient liar my Hassy-poo had become. I didn't let that go for a few hours after I had heard it.

It was after breakfast when we left on Saturday. Hasan booked one of those Dubai tours that took you around everywhere in a day. Then on Sunday, we had a desert tour booked, with dinner in the sand dunes.

I was sitting in a tent which was left open so we could see the dancing and fire show and enjoying the fruity shisha that came with the BBQ dinner.

"Did you have fun?" Hasan asks, taking a sip of his herbal-y tea.

"You bet I did. Thank you again."

"Don't mention it. Tomorrow at 7am though, you better be in the gym."

"No," I cry out. "I'm on vacation."

"Not anymore Mahee," he smirks. "I want to go back home so you need to get this case solved for us."

I'm going to purposefully drag this out as long as I can so I can stay here," I snicker.

"The poor tax payers," he mumbles to himself.

I set down the shisha pipe, leaning my head back on the pillows around us. "This is making me light headed."

"It's because you barely ate anything," he identifies the problem correctly. "Let's head back."

The drive home is so pleasant. The windows are rolled down so the warm, smoky Dubai air is blanketing us the whole way. Streets are empty but still there is a buzz of excitement and fun in the air.

Hasan follows me into my room and hands me a chocolate bar, double-checking that I don't feel loopy anymore.

"Do you want to watch a movie?" I ask, not feeling ready to sleep yet.

"Sure," he scratches the back of his head, looking down at his clothes. "Let me go change into something more comfortable."

While he's gone, I change into a pair of PJ bottoms and then debate what else to wear. I usually sleep in tank tops since it gets hot here at night and turning the AC on makes me too cold.

While I'm figuring out what to wear, Hasan texts me to let me know he's going to hunt down some snacks. I settle on wearing my usual sleepwear but throw on a hoodie over it.

He texts me when he's outside and I let him in quickly, already having the movie loading and moving through the starting credits.

"What is this?" he asks, getting comfortable on the bed.

"How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days."

"Do we have to watch a chick flick?" he frowns.

"You're going to love it, don't be a hater," I chide, tucking a pillow under my arms as I lay down on my stomach.

A few minutes into the movie, Hasan asks me, "are you cold?" He's looking at my thick hoodie.

"No, I just have on PJs under," I mutter, not diverting my attention from the movie. I was starting to get a bit hot. "Should I turn the AC on?"