Intrigued

Continues right from the last chapter :) 

MAHEEN

Hasan comes out of the bathroom just as I'm done strapping my sandals on.

He's in a pair of beige chinos and a dark green collared t-shirt. But what stuns me is his wet, tousled hair- a complete change from his usual neatly styled ways- flopping onto his forehead and over his eyes. He looks years younger, and a lot less intimidating than usual.

"Ready to go?" he asks, wiping his hair down roughly with a towel.

I walk over to him, taking the towel from his hands. "You're going to make yourself bald. Leave it."

"Fine, let's go," he grabs the key card and leads the way down to the lobby. He smells so good, he looks even better. What was in the Spanish air tonight that was making me so loopy?

I slam into his back since I'm too busy sniffing him to pay attention to where I'm going. I barely catch myself before I face plant into the floor. "Are you okay?" he chuckles, looking down at me over his shoulder.

"Yeah, sorry," I mumble, walking around him quickly to join to the others outside.

We were walking to a small restaurant down the street, eating beachside as the sun set.

"I can't believe you're leaving literally days after you get married," Ali snorts. "Tell me the truth Maheen, are you planning to murder him?"

"Yes, but not because of this," I grin over the rim of my cup. I can almost hear Hasan's eyes rolling in his head.

"Is everyone done? I want to go walk on the beach," Yusuf, Naina's older brother-in-law who also joined asks the group. Everyone agrees and once the bill is settled, we make our way down to the sandy shore.

Hasan trails half a foot behind me, watching me laugh and giggle with Nazeeha. But when she heads over to her husband, he comes to stand beside me.

We watch as the water rushes up to our feet, soaking our toes and ankles, before rushing back out to the sea.

"Penny for your thoughts?" I pick up a small, round pink stone and hold it out to Hasan.

He cracks a small smile, taking the rock from me. "You've been really quiet this week. Are you okay Maheen?"

"Yeah of course, why do you keep asking?" I give him a funny look but he still looks concerned.

I turn, making my way back to the sand and sit down, waiting till he joins me. "Tell me Mahee," he insists.

"It's nothing, I promise. I just kind of missed Rayyan. And home. And my mom," I tell him in a small voice. "And your flat doesn't have enough candles."

"Maheen, why didn't you say anything to me?" he admonishes.

"I swear, it's okay," I chuckle. "Of course I would feel this way for the first few days. But it's not anything serious."

He's staring straight ahead at the water with a frown on his face. "I guess you were right."

"I usually am. But about what?"

"We really aren't best friends anymore Maheen. Things have changed. You don't feel safe enough to tell me when you're upset and I don't think to look for the signs. This nikah is making you unhappy."

"Hasan," I bemoan. "You're such a drama queen. We're BFFs for life, stop trying to friend break-up with me. Now give mama a smile?"

He doesn't answer me, continuing to look at the water instead of at my face.