Blackmail

Our Maheen is stirring up some chaos in this chapter :P Vote, comment, share, and enjoy!

HASAN

I walked into the store with a few of mine and Rayyan's friends from school. We were all picking up our outfits for the nikah day.

I see Rayyan talking to Maheen and his grandma beside a rack of lehengas and walk over while the rest of the guys go off to find their outfits.

"Hey," I say to alert them of my presence. It's only when I get closer when I sense the air of tension around them. "I'll go look at some clothes," I tell Rayyan but he stops me.

"Wait Hasan," he takes Maheen by the arm and then me too, and pulls us both out of earshot of his grandma. I can hear Dadi complaining behind us, shaking her cane in our direction. I don't understand even half of what she's saying though.

"This is your chance guys. If there's something going on, let me know now. Otherwise if those people come to see you tonight Maheen, I can't keep fighting with Dadi to keep people away. I don't need this added stress during my wedding," Rayyan looks to both of us sternly.

"Bhai, what on earth are you talking about?" Maheen's eyes widen, looking between me and her brother. "Kuch bhi bole jaa rahe ho Bhai. (You're really just saying anything now)," she hisses.

"No Maheen, I think you think I'm stupid. I've seen you two. You weren't like this when you were friends years ago. There's definitely something going on and you're lying to me for whatever reason," Rayyan says to her heatedly.

"Wow," Maheen throws her head back in irritation. "Fine. What if there was? What would you do about it?" she raises her chin at her brother defiantly.

Now it's turn for my eyes to widen in surprise. Did she finally admit to feeling everything that I was?

Rayyan also looked stunned at her words, his anger gone. "Is there?"

"I need a minute with Hasan," Maheen grabs my arms and pulls us further away from her brother. What is with these siblings and arm grabbing.

"Care to fill me in on what you're up to?" I whisper-yell to her but my confusion almost instantly disappears when she looks up at me with desperate, doe eyes.

"Hasan, you want me to forgive you and be friends again? Just play along with this until Rayyan's wedding is done? Please, please, pleaseeee?" she folds her hands in front of her and begs. Okay, so no real feelings then. She's still not interested like that.

"You're crazy," my voice sounds robotic, even to me. "Tum sach mein pagal ho gayi ho. (You've actually lost your mind)."

"Come on Hasan, please? Just until his wedding is done. Then I'll tell them that I don't want to get married and you left me and they can all go eat dirt," she's bouncing nervously. "Don't you want my forgiveness?"

"This is blackmail," I raise an eyebrow.

She's fighting a grin now. "I know."

"This is not going to work."

"Yes it will. Come on Hasan! Please?" she places a gentle hand on my arm, batting her eyes. She knows exactly what she's doing and my resolve is wavering at full speed.

"Fine," I groan quietly, losing any chance of fighting this. She squeals and then walks back to her brother, who has been joined by their Dadi. She says something and both her family members look over at me. I walk slowly, dragging my feet.

"So yeah, I don't want to marry anyone else. Because I like him. And he says he likes me too," she points to me.

"Is that true?" Rayyan asks me. Rayyan and I have always been cool but I see the warning in his eyes. "I'd be happy if you two were a thing, but this needs to be serious. She's my sister Hasan."