That'll be the day

Courier pov: I'd begun to come to in a hospital bed, unknown where I was, I sat up quickly.

"Whoa, easy there. You're in camp mccarran, don't stand yet, you're still healing" said the doctor

"Talk about deja vu, how long was i out? What happened?"

"Relax, wars over, we won, you're the big hero, we pushed the legion out of the Mojave, and I'm in charge of confetti" said the doctor mockingly

"What?"

Doctor: "Nah, im just fucking with you, whole things fucked, we're pulling out of the Mojave, loading everyone important on vertibirds and flying them west, y'know political figures, ncr citizens, war heroes."

"So, what does that mean?"

Doctor: "means you and you're little posse are getting out of here"

"Are you upset I'm leaving"?

Doctor: "no, I'm upset I'm staying, this whole god damn base is surrounded by crimson, and now we've got to load assholes who aren't even ncr citizens onto birds, and fly them away before they hit us with so much artillery, im sneezing rubble."

"Well, I'm gonna stay here and defend the base, get more people out that way."

Doctor: "I'm glad you have the resolve, but unfortunately, you are as of now not physically able to stand up, and won't be making any decisions for yourself for a long while, now I'm gonna go have my last couple of shots, as an alive/free man."

I was surprised more than anything that Boone was coming with me, "where you go, I go" he says. By my "posse" the doctor was referring to my friends that got trapped in the encirclement, being Boone and Arcade, but I imagine "posse" includes all of my friends.

Before long, I was loaded onto a vertibird, and kissed new Vegas goodbye as it fell to ever advancing legion forces. I didn't know what had happened to those I knew, to Veronica, to any others. But I suppose it will all be answered soon enough.

What interested me was how the legion was unable to shoot us down, it seemed like they should have the means to do so among everything else, they had supplies to rock the land, but for some reason when it came to the skies they were completely incapable.