Chapter 28: Dichotomy

Chapter 28: Monochromatic Game
______________________________________
※Many individuals fail to fully exploit their existing circumstances to their advantage in multiple ways, instead opting to take an easier path that yields benefits in only a limited number of areas.
______________________________________

[Ayanokōji Kiyotaka POV]

「September 2nd︱Morning︱Faculty Office」

Sasaki-sensei's announcement that Nagumo Miyabi and I would be working together in the special exam left me stunned. "Sorry, come again?" I blurted out, my mind racing with doubts and possibilities.

"Is there something wrong, Ayanokōji-kun?" Sasaki-sensei asked.

"A lot of things seem off here, Sasaki-sensei," I replied firmly. "While it is true that the content in the audio file displays that I agree with whatever he said. However, the content we were discussing at that time was surely not regarding this special exam, but about the sport festival."

"Wait, really?" Sasaki-sensei turned to Nagumo Miyabi, who was sitting beside me with a smirk on his face. "So you called him here on a whim, Nagumo-kun, without even knowing the topic of discussion?"

Chuckling a little, Nagumo Miyabi simply responded nonchalantly while shrugging, "Looks like I made a mistake. Sorry for the confusion, Ayanokōji. I guess you must feel bad to be called here without knowing the content."

"It's quite troublesome indeed," I said as I stood up, attempting to leave the faculty office. However, Nagumo Miyabi's next words caught my attention.

"And here I thought we both could gain benefits from this special exam, the price of winning is rather high," Nagumo Miyabi spoke out of nowhere, causing me to stop my track immediately.

"Really?" I asked as I glanced back at him with the corner of my eye, in which Nagumo Miyabi just nodded while taking a sip of tea. I wondered when he had gotten the tea.

"How much exactly?" I asked once again to be sure, although the answer was rather obvious considering the fact he called me here

"Depending on the performance, that's why I called you here in the first place," Nagumo Miyabi responded while shrugging.

Upon hearing such an explanation, I let out a sigh before taking a seat once again, intrigued. "You're lucky that I'm a conditional money slave, Nagumo-senpai."

"I fucking knew it, you greedy bastard," Nagumo Miyabi said with a smirk, as if he already knew what kind of answer I would give him.

Naturally, I ignored his rather cruel remark and focused on Sasaki-sensei in front of me. "I would like to hear the special exam explanation first before deciding whether I'm going to participate or not. I believe I have at least this much right, yes?" If I could smile, my smile would be a creepy one right now.

Sasaki-sensei was momentarily taken aback by my question but quickly regained his composure. "The special exam, Convoluted Conundrum Labyrinth, will take place on September 5th at a location called 'A Hundred Rooms,' which is a specialized exam complex. This information was made available to all second and third year students. However, you are an exception as you were chosen by the player himself."

The player in question is Nagumo Miyabi. It's worth noting that the special exam, Convoluted Conundrum Labyrinth, will take place on the upcoming Saturday, September 5th. That means participants will have ample time to discuss and strategize before the exam takes place.

The word 'Convoluted' means complicated, intricate, or twisted. It's often used to describe something with many twists and turns, making it difficult to understand or follow.