Chapter 36: Quinsialyns

______________________________________
Contrary to popular belief, relying on luck is not a sign of weakness or incompetence. Rather, being in the right place at the right time can lead to the acquisition of luck, which can serve as a formidable tool to defy your opponent's logic. While the precise control of uncertainty remains elusive, it can still be skillfully employed to one's advantage.
______________________________________

[Ayanokōji Kiyotaka POV]

November 9th︱First Hour (10:27 AM)︱Pallet Café」

Although only a few minutes had passed since I received the call, I swiftly made my way to the designated location, Pallet Café. As I entered, the café was still relatively empty, but I knew it wouldn't be long before it filled up with second-year students.

My eyes immediately landed on a particular spot at the far end of the café. It seemed that a match was about to commence, or rather, about to begin.

"I'm delighted that you both agreed to engage in this little match with me, senpais. A previous defeat by a certain someone left me somewhat flustered, and I genuinely wish to put it behind me," the young girl seated before the upperclassmen expressed.

That girl was none other than Fumei Nise, the transfer student for surveillance purposes, who joined the school for the remainder of the second semester. She possessed natural long light pink hair and dark crimson eyes, dressed in her school uniform with custom gloves and black thigh-high stockings.

However, what truly stood out was the unmistakable aura of arrogance surrounding her.

"But since I'm the one extending the invitation, I believe it's only fair that I provide you with a little assistance, right?" Fumei Nise remarked, a light chuckle escaping her lips as if she found her own words amusing. "I'll take all four of you down simultaneously, harnessing the power of fate. Or perhaps you're more familiar with another term? Luck."

Fate? Luck? Indeed, they are related concepts, but they hold distinct meanings.

Luck pertains to the occurrence of events or outcomes that appear to be outside of our control, influenced by chance or fortune. It can be seen as a force or principle that operates independently of human actions or intentions.

On the other hand, fate revolves around the belief that events in one's life are predetermined and inevitable. It suggests the existence of a predetermined course of events or a fixed destiny that individuals cannot alter or change.

While luck emphasizes the element of chance and randomness, fate emphasizes a predetermined path. Luck implies that outcomes can be influenced by factors beyond our control, whereas fate suggests that outcomes are predestined regardless of our actions.

"Very well. What sort of challenges could it be then?" inquired Okawa Fumio, one of the participants in the special exam known as the Convoluted Conundrum Labyrinth.

"Ahahaha, no need to rush. I'll explain it right away," Fumei Nise chuckled, crossing her legs before starting her explanation. "It's a simple game based on luck, called 'Guessing the Number,'" she began.

"That's... quite an uninspiring name," one of the senpais remarked, expressing their dissatisfaction with the name of the challenge.

"Oh, please, spare my fragile heart from such harsh criticism," Fumei Nise replied, playfully wiping away imaginary tears.

"In this game, we will divide into two sides: the subjects and the predictors," Fumei Nise explained. "Naturally, I will assume the role of the subject, while the four of you will take on the roles of predictors. As the name implies, your task will be to guess the number that I have in mind. However, it would be too challenging if the range were left completely open, so I have limited the number to a single digit. In other words, it will be a number between one and nine."