Chapter 31: Availability Heuristic

______________________________________
※Imprinting something into people's minds is how lies work. Even without words, the interpretation can lead people into the deceitful trap. This is the real meaning of cause and effect in the context of lies.
______________________________________

[Ayanokōji Kiyotaka POV]

「September 5th︱Morning (11:02 AM.)︱A Hundred Rooms」

The participants who witnessed the outcome had turned their attention towards Nagumo Miyabi and me, confused by the outcome of the special exam itself.

This fact also applied to among Class 3A participants, particularly Horikita Manabu, who was perplexed for an entirely different reason compared to the former.

I suppose this means that the countermeasure has proven to be useful this time. Although I am reluctant to admit it, my tendency to always overestimate my opponent could be anything other than just a source of my disappointment as well.

______________________________________
Convoluted Conundrum Labyrinth―A total of team points
⠀―1| Class 2A (By Class): 0 points.
⠀―2| Class 2B & Class S (By Choice): 1,448 points.
⠀―3| Class 2C (By Class): 0 points.
⠀―4| Class 2D (By Class): 0 points.
⠀―5| Class 3A (By Class): 0 points.
⠀―6| Class 3B (By Class): 0 points.
⠀―7| Class 3C (By Class): 0 points.
⠀―8| Class 3D (By Class): 0 points.
______________________________________
Convoluted Conundrum Labyrinth―Outcomes
⠀―1| Class 2A (By Class): -1,448 CP.
⠀―2| Class 2B & Class S (By Choice): 2,896 CP. (Doubled by perk)
⠀―3| Class 2C (By Class): -1,448 CP.
⠀―4| Class 2D (By Class): -1,448 CP.
⠀―5| Class 3A (By Class): -1,448 CP.
⠀―6| Class 3B (By Class): -1,448 CP.
⠀―7| Class 3C (By Class): -1,448 CP.
⠀―8| Class 3D (By Class): -1,448 CP.
______________________________________

That being said, my habit of overestimating my opponents seems to be justified this time. Thanks to the outcome, I now have a better idea of their capabilities. I appreciate their desire to outsmart me, even though the odds are unfortunately against them.

"Beyond the outcomes that have been officially communicated to you, there will be no expulsions occurring during this special exam, the Convoluted Conundrum Labyrinth. This is the final conclusion," announced Sasaki-sensei. The participants were relieved upon hearing this news.

Based on the outcome, I believe that someone in another group knew what we were up to. Our team was supposed to score 1,454 points, but we only scored 1,448 points. If I have to come up with an explanation, it is probably that either Class 3A or 2A attempted to counter our strategy.

"It's nice that the plan worked out, huh?" I spoke nonchalantly.

"Surely, this outcome may confuse you the most, Horikita Manabu-senpai." However, based on the micro-behavior and information I hold so far, it seems more likely that it was Class 3A.

"I see. It appears that you predicted I would know what you are up to and had already prepared a countermeasure for it," Horikita Manabu adjusted his glasses, speaking in a calm and collected tone.

"I wouldn't dare to say that I predicted it. If anything, I simply anticipated the probability of you seeing through my plan and attempting to stop it, without getting anyone expelled during the process, this also including us." I responded apathetically, looking down at him slightly.

"Is that so? Then I believe you have already confirmed this multiple times, right? Yet, you are not entirely sure if I am going to do as you thought or not?" Horikita Manabu asked.