Chapter 1

(Your outfit)

The wind ruffled my hood as I quickly walked through the dark alleyway

The wind ruffled my hood as I quickly walked through the dark alleyway. I could hear the voices of the beastman hunters a little ways behind me.

The silence was painful as I made my way through the city.

I finally reached the bus stop. I sat there for a couple minutes. Just as I heard the hunters calling out for me, the bus arrived. I quickly hopped on. The driver saw my distress, and quickly started driving the bus.

I looked out the window and saw the hunters standing at the stop I was just at, looking angrily around them.

"Next stop, Anima City," the bus driver said through the speaker.

He turned to me. "Ma'am, you should probably sit down, it might be a bumpy ride."

I nodded, and moved to the back. Thankfully, no one was in the back, so I sat quietly, gazing out the back window.

Suddenly, I heard a loud bump on the top of the bus. I quickly got up and headed to the window. I opened it, and climbed out. As I grabbed the top of the bus, I heard a commotion behind me. It was the same hunters as before.

I heaved myself up onto the top of the bus, and met a surprised looking tanuki girl.

"Who are you?" She asked.

"Who I am is none of your concern, right now we have to deal with the hunters," I said, looking over my should at the hunters.

As I turned my head back the the girl, she yelled, "watch out! Behind you!" But I already heard it. A gun shot echoed through the air. I quickly shoved the girl down. The bullet grazed my side. I winced, but the wound quickly healed. I made sure to act hurt though, so I would give away my powers.

"That was a close one," the tanuki said. "I quickly got off of her.

"On three, we jump," I told her.

"On three, we jump- wait, WE JUMP?!" She practically yelled.

"Just try to land on your feet," I told her.

"But-"

"One,"

"Wait-"

"Two,"

"I'm not gonna-"

"Three!" I yelled. I grabbed onto her hand, and jumped off the bus.

Because of the tanuki, we ended up landing on our sides. We rolled down the hill.

I held onto the girl, taking most of the damage as we rolled down.

As we came to a stop, I heard the hunters coming down the hill also.

"Come on! Get down!" I whispered to the girl. I dragged her to the nearest bush.

"Where are they?" A hunter yelled as he passed by our bush.

"They probably fell into the water and drowned or something, c'mon let's go, there are plenty of other beastman around here," another one yelled, probably the leader of the group.

We waited a few seconds after they left to make sure they were gone and weren't coming back.

I emerged from the bushes, the tanuki girl following close behind me.

"Hey, thanks for helping me," the tanuki girl said.

I shook my head, "no problem. Are you headed to Anima City as well?"

The tanuki nodded excitedly, "Yup!"

"Well then, you should be careful on your way there," I told her.

I started walking towards the shore, but the tanuki followed after me. I stopped abruptly and turned to face her.

I sighed, "do you want to come with me?"

The girl beamed. "Yes please!" She exclaimed happily.

"What's your name, tanuki?" I asked.

"I'm a raccoon! And my name is Michiru!" She told me.

"You a tanuki, not a raccoon," I informed her.

She looked a little annoyed for a second, then asked, "what's your name?"

"Y/N," I told her.

"What type of beastman are you?" She asked, actually curious.

"I-I would rather not say," I told her.

"Is it that bad?" She questioned.

"No, I just....don't feel comfortable telling people," I said.

"Of course," she said. "Well it's nice you meet you Y/N!" She exclaimed, holding out her paw.

I reluctantly shook her hand. "Pleasure meeting you as well, Michiru."

Just then, I heard a ship near us. I turned and saw a woman in a boat, waving at us.

"Hey you guys! Come here!" She yelled. I winced at how loud she was. I slowly approached her. Michiru followed me.

"What do you want?" I ask.

"I can take you the Anima City. The road to there is a trap for other beastman, but I can take you across the water to there, for a few of course," the woman told us.

I sigh, then hand her some money. "Will this cover for both of us," I asked.

"Hey! I can't let the person who saved me pay for me!" Michiru complained.

I held up a gloved finger to silence her. She quickly shut up. I smiled a little, happy that I'm still intimidating.

"Get on," the woman said.

I quickly stepped onto the boat. I decided to stand, while Michiru sat down.

I quickly sniffed the air, and found out the woman helping us was a mink. My nose was never wrong.

"Why are you helping us?" I asked,

"For the money of course," the mink said.

"Of course," I murmured. "What's your name?"

The woman transformed into her beastman form, "Marie Itami, at your service," she said, bowing.

We spend the next few moments in silence, until Michiru squeals, "There it is!" She pointed to the city.

"Welcome to Anima City," Marie told us.