18

For the very first time, I saw something more than the walls of the home of my owners

For the very first time, I saw something more than the walls of the home of my owners. Atlas took me out the next evening to the mall. The ceiling dome of the mall was higher than I could imagine and made of the most beautiful glass. Then there were the string of lights that dangled from the ceiling were shining like crystals. The walkways flowed into one another, not even a sharp angle in sight. In the background were soft, melodic music.

The inside of the mall was a beautiful, heavenly contrast to the busy streets and distinct buildings of New York. Stores at every corner. People were smiling and holding hands. There were people walking around quickly and others who walked slowly, taking their time shopping.

My eyes were everywhere. I couldn't stop looking at one time long enough because there was always something else attracting me. I can't thank Atlas enough for taking care of bringing me here. The red crystal sat in the suitcase of our car that was parked in the parking lot.

Atlas's hands were wrapped around mine as he led me down the walkways of many stores. When we passed a certain store, I could smell the freshly brewed coffee and baked pastries. I tugged on his hand to stop him.

He turned to look at me, and I pointed to the shop with a grin. With a lopsided smile, he shook his head and walked into the coffee shop. He ordered me a coffee and a sweet pastry that I picked out.

"You're always eating," he teased as we stepped out.

"I'm not like some people. I do enjoy eating all the delicacies that I could get my hands on. You can't blame me though. I have been holed up in the crystal for so many years," I sighed when I sipped my coffee and it literally melted the pastry in my mouth. "If I ever die, I'll at least die a happy person."

That was the truth.

Today, I told myself to not think about the impending future. I wanted to enjoy life as much as I could and I was determined to make the best memories I could until my last breath.

My eyes caught sight of a small little booth with little figurines. Instantly, I jumped and dragged Atlas with me. He was stronger than me, but he didn't stop me from dragging him.

My eyes roamed the dangling chains on display. There was one of every kind. Beautiful and cute little people, cats, bears, rabbits, symbols, and icons. My eyes landed on a dog and I couldn't stop smiling. I picked it off the display and turned to Atlas. He scowled when he saw what it looked like. It looked exactly like the dog I turned him into.

"Do you see the similarities?" I asked, smiling.

"Don't make me recall it," Atlas replied dryly.

"I want this one."

"No," he responded almost instantly.

"But-"

"It's ugly."

"It's not. I love it. I want it." I pouted my lips and looked up at him with what I believe was puppy dog eyes. He looked down his nose at me for a few seconds before sighing.