30

At first, my past life memories came to me like dreams

At first, my past life memories came to me like dreams. I would dream about running in the fields with a little girl. Gazing at the stars together with her. I also remembered crying at the death of two elderly couples. These memories came incoherently. I could only compare it to trying to put the puzzle pieces together.

I didn't understand it at first.

Until I hit the age of ten and had a car accident. During that time, I fell into a deep coma. I slept for five months and during that time, all my memories came flooding in. The missing puzzle pieces fitted and a sense of understanding hit me.

My brother, Elias, said I cried while in a deep coma. When I opened my eyes, I whispered Atlas's name. Ever since then, I've turned my interest to historical artifacts. It was the only thing I knew that would bring me closer to Atlas.

During this time, I waited for the day I would meet him again. I talked to Elias once about my dreams, even tried convincing him reincarnation was true. He told me to never speak about it. I sounded crazy.

If I were him, I wouldn't believe it either. How could anyone be as lucky to be reincarnated with all their memories? My insecurity and fear of rejection stopped me from seeking Atlas out. It didn't stop me from praying that I might meet him one day.

Then it came.

I saw him.

He was walking on the streets of Paris and looked as handsome as ever. I couldn't resist but walked up to him.

When I did, though, I didn't expect to bump into him. He didn't even glance my way. Instead, he bent down to pick up his phone and mumbled a reply to my apology.

I assumed he didn't recognize my voice.

To my surprise, though, I saw him later that day. He walked into the lecture hall with purpose. When he spoke, I clung to every word.

After the lecture, I couldn't resist but rushed forward. The look of surprise on his face made my heart beat faster. Did he recognize me? Would he pull me into a death grip hug?

Instead, he asked me what my name was. He doesn't know that it's me. Disappointment hit me hard, but it didn't stop me from being more determined. I needed to find time to convince him.

Then I saw him in the standing rain with a cup of coffee in his hand and an umbrella in the other. Even in the rain, he looked magnificent. When he walked over and handed me a handkerchief, my fingers shamelessly brushed up against his as I grabbed the cloth to wipe my face.

I wanted to shout out that I was his Ophelia, but I was afraid he would push me away.

So, I pretended.

Our interactions were fleeting, but powerful. Like a magnetic pull, all cells and fiber in my body responded to his presence.

When I received the call from Silas, I was elated. I couldn't wait and spent the next several hours finding what to wear. I finally settled on a satin dress and white cardigan. When he took me around back and confessed his love for me, I couldn't stop the tears from falling.