23

Immediately, Atlas lifted my upper body off the bed and into his arms

Immediately, Atlas lifted my upper body off the bed and into his arms. I couldn't see him clearly, but I knew he had been crying. He buried his face in the crook of my neck and I could feel the wetness on his face. My heart softened at how such a domineering man could break down so easily. With a weak hand, I patted his back to comfort him.

"I'm okay." I reassured him.

It felt weird to wake up to this. What I thought was reality, wasn't reality. Seeing my parents, sisters, and familiar people was like a fresh wound to my heart. The realization that everyone was gone weighed heavily in my heart.

It was one thing to think that everyone died happily, but to hear that they died tragically—it killed me more than anything. Grief hit me like a gigantic tidal wave. I wanted to cry, but I also couldn't cry. My entire life is a complete joke. I clung onto life, only to be disappointed by it.

As soon as I thought of that, I felt Atlas's breath on my skin, and it felt like a warm blanket. It broke the pain I was feeling.

Atlas said nothing. He hugged me tighter. I looked at the people behind him. Silas stood at the foot of the bed with someone I didn't recognize. However, he bore a similar power to mine. A wizard, possibly?

Silas's eyebrows furrowed in concern. The wizard stood next to him with a vial in his hand. The solution inside the vile gleamed purple, translucent with almost like the Milky Way.

I recognized the elixir-- elixir vitae.

The elixir gives the user a chance to come back from the brink of death. It would only prolong my life temporarily, but it was not a fixed to the curse that I carry. My eyes shifted from the elixir to the wizard. It seemed he understood this too, because I could see it on his face.

Either way, I was happy. I get to spend more time with Atlas. That was all that mattered. I looked around the room and recognized that we were no longer in New York, but back in the cold castle of Atlas.

Atlas pulled back and cradled my face. Tears were still streaming down his cheeks. I thought about the tears I felt when I was gone and felt the urge to wipe them away. My gaze drifted lower to his attire, and he looked exactly how he looked in my dreams. His white dress shirt unbuttoned at the top, sleeves rolled up, tie loosened and wrapped around his neck. With how unruly his midnight hair looked right now, I could tell that he spent hours or days running his hands through it.

Did he cry and call out to me while I was under? The tears I felt. Was it from him?

"We'll give you some space." I heard Silas say before I heard the click of the door being closed.

"I thought I lost you," Atlas whispered before leaning in for a desperate kiss.

I could feel his panic and pain through the kiss. I placed a gentle hand on the side of his neck and kissed him back. When he broke the kiss, he pressed his forehead up against mine and I watched his eyes flutter close as he took in a shuddering breath.