Fredrick Chase Part 2

Before we all went our separate ways, Percy pulled me aside to ask me something.

"What did you want to ask me, Percy?"

"Well, sir, I... um, I... wanted..." Percy stuttered, his face a bright red.

I raised an eyebrow, hands at my hips before responding "Yes, Percy. You what?"

He took a deep breath "I wanted to ask you for permission to marry Annabeth."

I was amazed, but I had been expecting this. 

"Yes, Percy. You have my full permission to marry Annabeth. But I suspect you would have asked her anyways, permission or not. I hope you have Lady Athena's approval."

Percy's face lit up and he surged forward, embracing me in a hug "Thank you, thank you, thank you." he muttered into my shoulder.

I patted his back "Now, you'd better go to the guest room. Anna will be waiting for you."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I came down with Helen and the boys an hour later, woken by the smell of cooking food to find breakfast laid out at the table, Annabeth sitting on Percy's lap, reading out Macbeth while he had his fingers in Annabeth's belt loops and his chin resting on her head.

Seeing us enter the house, they both got up from their studying.

"Good morning guys." Percy greeted.

"Morning, Dad. 'Morning Helen, Bobby, and Matthew." Annabeth, too, greeted.

"Good morning you two."

"So, Percy, what has this killer cook we've heard so much about made today?" Bobby asked.

"Well, for breakfast, we have pancakes and waffles- my mom's recipe- scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, and some toasted sourdough bread," he replied.

"And I helped!" chimed Annabeth.

"Yeah, Annabeth cracked the eggs." chuckled Percy

We sat down for breakfast and started eating. I have to say, Annabeth was right. Percy is a fantastic cook. The pancakes and waffles were scrumptious, ( Seemingly, I must thank Sally for a lot. For raising Percy, for her pancake recipe, and a few other things) the hashbrowns were golden and crispy, the eggs were fluff, soft, and perfectly seasoned, and the bread was toasted to perfection.

As soon as Bobby got to the pancakes, he let out an unearthly moan slapping his hand over his mouth at the realization of what he had done, and everyone cracked up.

"Maybe... " Matthew said between peals of laughter "Maybe you should elope with the pancakes instead of your girlfriend!"

Eventually, the laughter quieted down. We started talking about their plans and they said that after graduating, they would be doing a full-physical course at New Rome University. Percy would be doing an ODL at the University of California, Santa Barbara/ San Diego while Annabeth would do an ODL at  UC Berkeley. Throughout the meal, I couldn't help but notice that Percy and Annabeth seemed very high-strung.

"Why do you guys look so tense?" I asked.

Percy let out a breath " It's just that... since the end of the war, we've been on edge because-"

"Because the remnants of the army are still on the loose. We have a team tracking them, and their report is due in a few hours. As soon as we get a fix on their location, we will dispatch a strike team and finish them off." Annabeth finished.

"That's so wrong," said Helen "Children should not have to go to war."

"But that is how a demigod's life is," Annabeth said, smiling wryly.

"Yeah. We've argued with the council to lift the Ancient Laws. These ban the gods from interacting with us. Ever since they heard how tough our lives are and how badly they do at parenting, they're trying to become better and are thinking of lifting the Laws. But..." Percy trailed off.

"They're still healing from the Greco-Roman schism from the Second Gigantomachy. So it may be years before a decision is made." finished Annabeth. 

"Percy, Annabeth told us that you have water powers like Aquaman! Can you show us?" Matthew squealed.

Percy caught Helen and I's eyes, asking for permission, which we gave. Then he shot Annabeth a playful glare "Really, Wise Girl? I've had enough Aquaman jokes for a lifetime. First Leo, and now you? I've been betrayed!" He clutched his chest in mock hurt and pouted, causing all of us to break out in laughter "And sure, guys."

Percy raised his hands, summoning water to him. First, he shaped it into a young girl on one knee, seemingly having a great weight on her shoulders. Then, it was shaped into a young boy in the same position. The images became more and more detailed.

He manipulated the water again and shaped it into a volcano. Then he zoomed into the volcano, showing a forge infested with monsters of some kind, with the boy and a girl behind a cart and the girl kissed the boy before sneaking out.

With a jolt, I realized that the boy and girl were Percy and Annabeth, and the first image was from when Annabeth had been kidnapped.

The boy then stepped forward to face the monsters, who hurled something at him, causing him to seemingly scream. Then, the volcano erupted, throwing the boy into the air.

"Wait. The Mount St. Helens eruption was you?" Helen asked, amazed by his powers.

"Yeah. We'd gone there as a favor to Hephaestus because he thought someone had taken over his forge in exchange for the location of Deadalus' workshop, something we needed to know in order to repel an attack on Camp." Percy said.

"As Hephaestus had thought, the forge had been taken over by the telekhines, and we needed to drive them out. Knowing that there was no way we could defeat so many, Percy told me to get out, saying that he had a plan. That, of course, was a lie to keep me safe. So I exited the forge, and ten minutes later, the volcano exploded, and I could hear Percy's screams all the way from Hephaestus' workshop." Annabeth looked shaken up as she finished the last sentence, so Percy went over to her and hugged her, murmuring sweet nothings into her ear.

Our jaws dropped. How could anyone have so much power, carry so much of a burden, yet still managed to be so upbeat and cheery? Percy went back to controlling the water like nothing had happened.

The picture then changed to a large room with twelve enormous seats arranged around a hearth. A young man, with blonde hair and a scar on his right eye, lay on the ground, a knife embedded in his armpit. Percy and Annabeth were crouched near him, and they watched as the life left his eyes.

The image changed to one of a gigantic bubble underwater, with Percy and Annabeth in it, kissing. I guessed this is when they got together.

Many more images passed through- one of Annabeth judo-flipping Percy, then the two of them sleeping together in the stables of their warship, them dangling over a chasm, them kissing under the Parthenon, and then, seven people staring down a massive woman, with long, flowing robes.

As the finale to his show, Percy turned the water into two little crowns and placed them on Bobby and Matthew's heads. Then, he took the water and turned it into a large, beautiful, diamond-encrusted crown and placed it on Annabeth's head. Then, the water took the shape of a man on one knee, opening a box, mirroring Percy.

"Annabeth Chase, you are the love of my life. We were enemies at twelve, frenemies at thirteen, best friends at fourteen, crushes at fifteen, lovers at sixteen, and soulmates at seventeen.

You are the ying to my yang. We've saved each other many times, and we've watched each other grow up. You helped me stay in control in my darkest moments and I want to spend the rest of my life with you.

So, Annabeth Chase, will you do me the honor of marrying me and so, make the happiest Seaweed Brain in the world?"

Annabeth had tears in her eyes "Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!"