The Fall of Mount Othrys

Jason looked around the mountaintop. His view was warped by the mist that surrounded the reconstructed Mount Othrys. The legion, locked in battle all around the summit, was losing. He had rescued the third and fourth cohorts from an assault, and now he waited for another chance to strike.

Reyna swooped in low with Scipio and said, 'Go! The First and Second are fighting Krios, and it isn't looking good.'

Jason nodded, tugged on his helmet, and took flight. The sulfurous air burned his lungs, and the screams of demigods and monsters alike filled his ears as he traveled to Krios.

The Titan of the South stood proud above the pride of Camp Jupiter, laughing as he swatted aside the cohorts. He was dressed in silver armor that glinted in the moonlight, his ram-horned helmet looking to gore any who tried to cross it. In his hand, the Titan held a massive blade that cleaved through the ranks.

Jason's heart sank. Of the eighty demigods that made up the First and Second, he could see only twelve or thirteen. The rest lay limp, lifeless on the cold ground. His vision became tinged with red as he let loose a mighty bellow and rammed into Krios.

'Michael, Octavian, take what remains of the cohorts and reinforce Reyna. I'll take Krios.'

The Titan leveled his sword at Jason. 'So, the Golden Boy of Rome has come. Let your death be the final word in the history of your camp.'

A hologram of sorts- marked with the colors of the rainbow- appeared near Krios, showing a Laistrygonian giant.

'My Lord Krios,' he said. 'The assault has failed. Jackson and Chase... they succeed.'

Krios slashed apart the hologram. 'Bah! I told Hyperion that the both of us should have gone but nooo. He has to be the one to lead the assault, he has to be the one to take on the brat.'

Jason's head spun. What the hell was Krios talking about?

'It doesn't matter. You're mine, Grace.'

With that, Jason locked blades with the charging Krios. Each strike shook the mountain itself, but he held his ground.

For a being of his size, Krios was fast, but Jason was faster. He used the winds to his advantage, zipping around the Titan as he struck several blows. As he went in for another, Krios swatted him out of the air.

'Insect!' Krios said and charged again.

Then the dance began. It was elegant, and filled with beauty. Jason would look back on it later to call it a work of art. Each strike was calculated, and each hit the result of a million decisions.

But it was not to last. Krios knocked IVLIVIS out of Jason's hand and the sword went flying to the other side of the mountain. The Titan put his blade at Jason's throat and as he brought it down for the killing blow, Jason dodged.

He raised his hand to the air and the heavens parted open. Lightning dropped from the skies and filled every fiber of his being with energy, the lightning flowing through his veins like blood.

With a roar, Jason flew at Krios and gave a right hook to Krios' face. The Titan staggered back as the mountain itself shook again. Jason went at it again, unleashing all of his fury on Krios.

For once, Jason let go of the self-discipline and control he valued and let his most primal instincts take over. The more energy he drew upon, the more it seemed as if he was tearing through his layers of mortality, revealing the godly ichor that flowed underneath.

It felt good. At that moment, he felt free.

Jason retreated as Krios made a blind grab. He clapped his hands with such force that he ripped the air in front of him as lightning streaked from his palms and seared the Stygian Iron armor. He flew forward, tucking his arms into his body, legs perfectly straight, butt clenched.

Just as he was about to slam into Krios, he heard a boom like thunder. Jason had achieved Mach 1 speed.

He rammed into Krios, sending the Titan tumbling into the throne of Saturn, and shattering his armor. Jason summoned IVLIVIS to his hands and pushed it into Krios, taking pleasure in the death throes of the one who had nearly decimated the legion.

Jason took a deep breath as the Titan turned to dust. He pointed his sword at the throne and said, 'I consecrate this mountain in the name of Jupiter Optimus Maximus.'

A final bolt dropped from the heavens and onto the throne, blasting it and the mountaintop to rubble, turning the stone around it to glass.

Cheers rose from behind him. 'Jason, Jason!'

They quickly changed to 'Praetor, Praetor!'