Welcome Back

After a lengthy process that spanned several months of background checks and other things of the such, which was surprisingly difficult since the majority of my background had been forged for my new life, I ended up getting the job. When I first read the contents of the email, I smiled. I could feel excitement bubbling up inside myself, although minimal.

A week after I had been hired, I had been given a notice that I would need to move my stuff to the dorms that were present on campus. There was no rule that you couldn't leave the campus or contact the outside considering that many had loved ones who could not accompany them. All the people working there were adults, so they had the freedom to leave and explore the city on the weekends if they so desired. It wasn't explicitly stated that teachers had to stay on the weekends, but they often did since many students would still have inquiries even during their own breaks. However, certain times such as those around special exams did require the teachers and staff to stay on campus, which ended up leaving limited time to leave. It was not a good career choice for those who had time intensive lives outside of their work.

I had decided not to sell my house yet just because it would be too much of a hassle, and so it would probably just remain abandoned for a while. I asked one of my neighbors to look over it, and they agreed happily although not knowing me well. I was grateful to the community in this small town, but I also knew that I was never really a part of it.

On the day I moved onto campus, it was the week of the transition in between school years. I had a meeting that afternoon to talk to the other first year teachers about the next school year, but it also served somewhat as an introduction for myself. I was unsure of how many of the remaining teachers I would be familiar with, but I was sure that at least one of them was someone I knew very well. I took the bus to the campus, somewhat mirroring the first time I had set foot on the campus. When I walked in, I of course had my brilliant disguise of one pair of fake glasses. No one would ever know it was me, even though the lenses aren't distorted so if you take a look at them you'll realize really quickly that they're fake and I'm wearing them for absolutely no reason. Besides that, walking back inside what was previously my one and only escape felt oddly refreshing. This time I was walking in with freedom at my back.

After putting away my things at the room I was assigned, there wasn't much to store since I still don't own many belongings, it was nearing the afternoon. I decided it might be better just to get an early start, I was already aware that I would be separated from the other three initially.

I walked into a small room where Sakayanagi greeted me. He looked tired and older, although it didn't show as much since his hair was already white in his forties, something which always confused me with his daughter especially. He was probably in his early 60s around now, but I never knew his exact age anyways. "It's been quite some time, hasn't it? It's wonderful to see you in person again, and working here as a teacher." He smiled at me, it reminded me of the one that he had given me when I first met him.

"I've actually been anticipating working here a lot in these past few months. It feels nice to be back on campus. It hasn't changed too much."

"I'm glad. I've always hoped for you to have a better life and the freedom to choose what you want to do, and it's great that you have gotten to make those decisions for yourself in the past years." He was incredibly supportive of me, which I always appreciated even though I probably didn't express my gratitude enough. I also enjoyed that he never pitied me or offered empty sympathy he knew wouldn't accomplish anything. "Oh, I'm going to wait for the others to get here before I introduce you. I hope you don't mind waiting in this room."

"Not at all," I responded.

He exited the room, leaving just me and a few chairs. I was wondering what this room was actually used for but it seemed to just be a side room that was attached to the greater one. I sat down and thought silently for a little bit. The walls were surprisingly soundproof, so I could only hear the small murmur of voices from the other side. They probably had a lot to talk about considering that their third years had just graduated a few days prior.