A New Batch of Students

And so the day arrived. I had already been given the list of students I would be teaching weeks prior as well as their OAA scores and interviewer notes. From this I could determine that this class wasn't anything particularly remarkable, but gems could always be hidden in the midst of it all just waiting to be uncovered. Or, they could be normal rocks awaiting their turn to be polished into stunning gemstones. Either way, whether this Class D intended to fail early on or make an attempt to rise up was none of my concern. I only intended to be an observer aside from my duties as a teacher. However, in the back of my mind there was always the hope that something interesting would happen. I couldn't hide the fact that I wanted to find something more, but I didn't know what this entailed.

The entrance ceremony had taken place in a normal fashion, where I remained standing in the corner of the room to watch the scene before me unfold. I was still wearing my masterful disguise of fake glasses, so I was fully blending into my surroundings without a hint of suspicion from any party. While I was standing next to Horikita, she elbowed me in the side. "What was that for?" I whispered back at her, still trying to get my irritation across while also remaining quiet.

"You looked like you were thinking about something stupid," she whispered back. I glared at her, but both of us quickly returned back to our stoic expressions after our brief interaction.

I couldn't tell what type of character the student council president who was making these opening remarks was, but she seemed interesting nonetheless. That is usually the case with the majority of them though, even if I never had any particular interest in learning more about people who didn't matter to me. Other than that, there was the excessive gratitude from the headmaster once more, to which I found myself getting bored rather early on. The students were dismissed to the classrooms to continue orientation. I lingered a bit around the building before returning back to the school building to get my teaching materials set up.

Before I knew it, the bell rang. I took my cue to walk inside the room. It was unknown whether the students had taken this time to introduce themselves to each other or had stayed quiet, but since I already knew there were multiple very extroverted personalities they would have at least gotten to know each other a bit. I took a moment to observe the new faces of Class 1-D before continuing on as otherwise. Some looked anxious, others looked back at me with confidence, but what they all had in common was that they had not a single clue as to what awaited them in the future at this school.

And so, with one deep inhale, I changed my expression. "Good morning, students. I'm the instructor for Class D. My name is Akiyama Ichiro. This is my first year as a teacher here, but I was previously a math teacher for two years. At this school we do not change classrooms for each grade, so for the next three years I will be your homeroom teacher. I look forward to getting to know all of you and observing your growth over the next three years. It's a pleasure to meet you. First, I must explain the special rules of the school as well as hand out the admissions guide." I looked back on the memories of my own orientation to judge what to say and how to introduce myself. I smiled while talking, which would be considered unnatural for me, but they would have no way of knowing. The only problem was that I could never get the smile to reach my eyes no matter how much I had practiced this fake smile over the years. For this first month, I wish to present myself as an approachable teacher, perhaps even implying that I may overlook poor behavior because of this. My inexperience could also lead them to believing this to be the case, and that I may be more loose with rules. I handed the guides to the people in the front rows to pass backwards.

After making sure that everyone possessed one, I spoke up once more, "I will now pass out your student ID cards. These cards can be used to access any of the facilities on campus as well as allowing you to purchase goods from the store, plus more. It essentially acts as a debit card. It is extremely important that you pay attention to how many points you spend. At this school, you can use your points to buy anything. Anything on the school premises is available for purchase." Of course, no one would understand the importance of the word 'anything' until much later. Most people came here simply to enjoy their school lives and be granted that 99% university and career acceptance rate. "Your ID cards can be used by swiping them through a machine scanner, but for transfers between people it's done through the app on your school issued phones. Points are automatically deposited into your account on the first of every month. You should have all received 100,000 points already. Please keep in mind that one point is worth one yen."